Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ear Routine

What routine "maintenance" does everyone use to clean/dry their labs ears after swimming?

Re: Ear Routine

None.

I just dry them thoroughly with a towel. I do clean ears either weekly or every other week with the 'purple stuff' - K9 Liquid Health Ear Cleaner.

Mine swim a lot. I use Witch Hazel or Hydrogen Peroxide once a week. If a yeast infection is starting, I use either witch hazel or hydrogen peroxide twice a day for 10 days. Works well here.

I have heard that encouraging a dog to lie on its back after swimming will cause any water to drain out of the ears. It's too bad that my current dogs HATE to be on their backs!

Sorry, If I need to clarify how to use the Witch Hazel/Hydro Perox. Since I have meds prescriped when dog gets 'yeast infection' in ear; I put drops in ear that stay..once/day for 10 days. DO you do same with WH/HP or do you put on a =guaze and wipe/ or ear swab stick. Thanks. Glad to know this works just as well for weekly cleaning as a store bought product to maintain.

Chris W
Sorry, If I need to clarify how to use the Witch Hazel/Hydro Perox. Since I have meds prescriped when dog gets 'yeast infection' in ear; I put drops in ear that stay..once/day for 10 days. DO you do same with WH/HP or do you put on a =guaze and wipe/ or ear swab stick. Thanks. Glad to know this works just as well for weekly cleaning as a store bought product to maintain.

I use guaze and wipe out. Be sure to go deep enough but gentle. For those that don't have drops at home, if you catch an infection early, using the Witch Hazel/Hydro peroxide 3 times a day often takes care of it, only if caught right away.