Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6 month old pup, barking/growling in her new home, help!

I just sent out a female not working for me conformationally. Thoroughly obedience trained, she has her CGC. She never barked in home. In her new home she is barking, growling at women she sees while out on a walk. She just went home yesterday. She never had an issue while here.

HELP!

Re: 6 month old pup, barking/growling in her new home, help!

I would give the puppy a little more time to adjust to it's new home. Probably the pup is stressed due to the change in homes. Tell the new owners to relax and take it slow.

"I just sent out a female not working for me conformationally."

Forgive me, and maybe your opening line was not meant as such, but it was worded very apathetically. "Sent out" and "not working for me" are not words I would use to describe placing a puppy?

Perhaps, even though this puppy was a star at obedience, maybe she didn't develop the confidence she needed to take on a new home? She probably just needs a little more time to adjust?

Again, forgive me, just thinking of the puppy's well being.

BRDR
In her new home she is barking, growling at women she sees while out on a walk

Here's my take ... I say she is barking because she's not getting attention - being ignored and she's bored. She's only 6 months old - she needs something to do. She can't just "hang out" like an adult dog. On the growling at women - maybe it's the woman in the house who is not paying attention to her - maybe even yelling at her when she barks. Maybe this woman needs Lab ownership 101 -specifically young Lab ownership. Maybe it's just the wrong placement.

umm....
"I just sent out a female not working for me conformationally."

Perhaps, even though this puppy was a star at obedience, maybe she didn't develop the confidence she needed to take on a new home? She probably just needs a little more time to adjust?

Tell the new owners to take her lots of places. Sounds like she hasn't had enough pictures in her head to be comfortable in her new home. Sometimes we think that our teenagers are well socialized by just being in our own home and running with her own pack but actually they need a whole lot of other experiences to be sound in their problem solving and thinking. Reminds me that I need to get my own puppies out a bit more, too. Good luck.

I'd be willing to bet she misses the confidence she felt with you and your other dogs. Now she is out with a new person and she doesn't know if she can be trusted the way she trusted you. So she is with a strange person, in a strange place full of strange new people. I think she needs to be kept at home in relative quiet until she feels at home and secure. After a while she will be ready to venture out.

What I did with my keeper pup from our latest litter is send him on sleep-overs with a friend of mine for one full weekend each month. No other pets in her house so gets to learn what it's like to not be part of a pack. Gets to learn someone else's routines, to get used to other people, go different places, ride in a different part of the car (crated in the rear of my vehicle vs riding in the back seat with her kids). From my house with 2 kids (ages 7 and 10) to her's with teens and revolving door of friends.

Now I have a well socialized and bomb proof pup who takes it all in stride. He's been to rugby and football games, to military band presentations, etc etc....

Make sure they don't pet her or reassure her or baby talk her when she is growling /barking. That will reinforce the behavior.
I might not be walking her around the block until she is confident in the house/yard and with the owners...

I could just hug you all! I think she indeed misses the confidence she had with me and littermates. She was just at the lake the day before going home. Sat/stayed on the public dock while strangers passed her as we loaded the boat, absolutely no issues- but she was with our big group and her brother.

I just want to run and get pup, but in the long run it's probably not best. I really cried when she left us.

Plan now is to keep pup at her new home to adjust for a few days, then have dad (she has no issues with dad, only mom) take out pup and his wife on nearby bike path. I have a feeling mom is unsure and hence pup is unsure.

I also have an obedience/conformation friend (different breed) getting me a phone number of an obedience instructor nearby new family who comes into homes, evaluates and gives direction to new families. We'll use her if necessary.