Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CERF Dissapointment

Just home from a CERF exam with my 3 yr old girl and the doctor says she has posterior cortex cataracts. Anyone have experience with this?

Re: CERF Dissapointment

Since the advent of DNA testing for PRA (which was formerly the bread-and-butter of cerf exams), has anyone else observed that these ophthamologists are finding more cerf "issues" that were never issues before? Like they are trying to justify their existence?

I had a bitch that cleared CERF for a couple of years, then had a reaction to the dilating eye drops. Ended up with deep bilateral corneal ulcers and has scar tissue on both eyes. The ophthalmologist said a couple of years ago that it's corneal dystrophy and that it will progress and get worse. Funny thing is it hasn't changed in 4 years - at all. Now she has a hard time continuing to say corneal dystrophy....

I'm guessing my girl won't pass CERF with this diagnosis???? By the way she is PRA Clear

concerned
I'm guessing my girl won't pass CERF with this diagnosis???? By the way she is PRA Clear

One of my old girls had this. small triangulated cateracts in both eyes, diagnosed at 18 months. would not CERF. Optigen A, great hips and elbows. I decided to breed her without the CERF clearance once. IMO, it was a small issue compaired to many of our issues including hearts, orthopedic, epilepsy, etc. She has service dog grandkids - no one has any issues. she is almost 14 and is getting some regular cataracts. I do not regret this decision at all.

If it does not and will not affect sight, I wouldn't even worry about it.

My very first bitch had them ,they showed up at around a year and between those and the PRA she was finally diagnosed with at 2 by ERG ,they affected her vision. The ACVO that did her CERF did tell me that they can affect the vision depending on how large they are,hers never changed in size and were like nicely shaped triangles that were very noticeable, they also seemed to run in hand with dogs that had PRA or produced/carried it...That was 20 years ago- My mentor also had dogs that had it and his went back even furthur, so I learned to ask questions about that type of cataract to help avoid PRA since we didn't have the test at the time. Now we do, we are so lucky we can make such very different choices nowadays.

According to the ACVO at CERF when I talked with her and my vet regarding a punctate cataract diagnosis on one of my dogs-
They are getting tougher on CERF exams especially those that once would pass with a breeders option because people were ignoring the recommendations of NOT breeding them to other dogs with similar or familiar history of similar issues. These litters were producing a marked increase in a variety of types of eye issues so things that were once listed as "cause unknown" or breeders options are now getting kicked back without passing CERF. You have to make sure that if there is ANY thing other than the "normal" bubbles darkened on the CERF form, that your vet writes clear notes (and legible! ) regarding whether or not they think that the condition is hereditary or injury related. Mine, in the past, didn't even write anything in the notes section with punctate type cataracts that were the size of a pencil dot, the ones that wouldn't change or affect the dog's eyes. But after passing for 4 yrs straight and then failing two of my dogs with the condition, I made sure that she wrote exactly what she saw and her diagnosis. On the dog's that failed, after some calling and emailing back and forth between my ACVO and CERF, they passed my two dogs.

I had a beautiful young dog CERF several times early in his life, then I was stunned with the Posterior Cataracts, and no they do not cler CERF. I nuetered him and placed him in a pet home, he was a beauty. So sad. His sire produced it before, I'mnot sure what the inheritance is , but if I had a bitch , I would sure do some research before placing them in a pet home. With a bitch maybe you can breed around it?