Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HELP!! 1 week old puppies are not pooping

To make a long story short I'm fostering 1 week old pups with no momma. I got them a week ago and we think they were a few days old. I'm feeding them raw goats milk and they eat and pee good, but no poop. I've been stimulating them like crazy and sometimes I can see I little poo and they try to push it out but can't. With then being 1 week old is there any supplements I can try? Are they to young to be wormed? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Re: HELP!! 1 week old puppies are not pooping

Try this formula from Myra Savant Harris's book:
1 can evaporated milk or goat's milk (do not dilute)
1 cup yogurt with probiotics (as high fat as you can get)
1 tbs. mayo
1 tsp. Karo Syrup
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup broth from boiled beef liver
couple drops of infant's vitamins
Mix in blender and strain if necessary.

Maybe the plain goat's milk just doesn't have enough fat content.

Or buy a goats milk based milk replacer like simbilac.

2 egg yolks
2 tsp safflower oil
1/2 tsp canola oil
25000 units Vitamin A
1/2 tsp polyvisol childrens vitamins with iron
fill with fresh goat milk to 2 cups

Fresh goat milk is available at Whole Foods and most A&Ps

Get your formula straightened out. Just raw goats milk is only good for a baby goat. Then, get a rectal thermometer. Put vaseline in the tip, and insert a TINY bit into the rectum, and spin it a little, This will stimulate them to poop. Do NOT insert it in far! Just a little, and gently spin. Never fails.

I find that a facecloth with warm water works better than anything else, as far as wiping, but it can take some time and technique :)

you could try a small dab of kitten hairball gel - I have used that before - put on roof of mouth and they will lick it away you could also try a little sterile water - a few drops a few times a day to add liquid

I have not used goat's milk, these things have worked when the mom was not cleaning or milk was so rich they got constipated

I would also make sure that they are not dehydrated, maybe supplement a bit of water too. Good thoughts for your foster babies.

Add a little prune's baby food to the mix. That will do it.

Thank you for all that responded. I did try the thermo with KY and got a few poos. We also took a trip to the vet, he was very happy with how everypup was doing and reccomended if need be, a little mineral oil added to thier milk.?