Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need to Gain Fat

Does anyone know what to feed a 9 month old male puppy to help him gain fat on his bones that does not have protein?

TIA

Re: Need to Gain Fat

Don't understand your question....his bones don't have protein?

?
Don't understand your question....his bones don't have protein?

think he means product to put weight on that doesnt have protein in it

Don't know what you could feed that doesn't have some protein.

Why would you not want protein to help build muscle? I feed a 30/20 food...that puts nice weight on dogs.

Frankly, I don't understand why you'd put such a young dog on a low protein diet? Is he suffering from kidney problems? If not, I see no reason for low protein food.
You should know that there is a direct relationship between fat and protein in the diet and this has to do with the metabolic interactions between the two.

The more fat you add, the more protein is needed!

May I suggest that you take your dog to a vet(preferably one with nutritional skills)and have him examined. There could be several causes for his loss of appetite. Good luck!

He has growing pains and he needs his protein intake reduced. He has a lot of bone and since I have him on a low protein adult food now his ribs are showing. I am asking for a food, not necessarily dog food, but something that I might be able to feed him that has lower protein yet higher fat.

Growing pains? Are you sure? Has your dog been diagnosed by a vet? If it is pano he should be on pain control. Here is a little info from www.vetinfo.com:

"Currently, a common rumor is that low protein, low calcium diets may prevent this condition. It should be noted that the energy level of lowprotein/calcium diets is often lower as well. If this is the case, a puppy will eat much more of the diet in order to meet its energy needs, resulting in higher total calcium consumption. It may be preferable to feed a puppy diet and restrict total quantity to keep the dog lean than to use a lowprotein/low calcium adult dog food.
This condition is self limiting, meaning that it will eventually go away, with or without treatment. Pain control can go a long way towards helping your pet feel more comfortable and should be used, though."

YES! Anki in Sweden. Please don't treat me as if I am some kind of idiot. I did not just wake up one day and decide my puppy has Pano. He has been x rayed and that is the diagnosis from my vet. I myself could see the Pano in his long bones. I have also done his OFA prelims on elbows as a follow up and he is normal. He is on pain control meds and being treated for the condition. I have been feeding him puppy food and my vet recommended that I stop the puppy food. I always like to keep my puppies on puppy food until one year so I am not sure what to feed him to keep him in his best condition and to not add to his pain in his bones.

From your post, I am getting that by feeding him the adult food I am adding to his calcium intake. Does this mean it would be best for me to keep him on the puppy food?

I talked to a nutritionist several years ago and she recommended calcium at .9 to 1.0 %

that is what is in the 30/20 Pro Plan Performance

I was also told that this ratio is fine for growing puppies, just don't feed too many calories

it's the total calorie intake that needs to be monitored

use of buffered aspirin or prescription anti-inflammatory drug is used for pain and was advised not to crate the puppy - that it is self limiting

If you just want fat supplementation, perhaps some salmon oil? would add calories. good EFAs.

Anki, Can you start a new thread and explain this. I would love to learn more. TIA!

Anki in Sweden

You should know that there is a direct relationship between fat and protein in the diet and this has to do with the metabolic interactions between the two.

The more fat you add, the more protein is needed!

We always told owners with Pano pups to feed them a "garbage" food. Not necessarily lower in any particular grouping like fat or protein, just lower quality overall. Often it was Ol'Roy or along those lines. Slowed down growth because of the cruddy protein sources, but had lots of fat. Pups always did well and looked good by the time they were through their pano stage.

Basically you want to cut back their overall nutrition as most diets now are very high in nutritional quality.

Only in America! LOL People are fat. Labs are fat. Why do I think it does not look good on me?

Old Roy does make a higher fat food that I have mixed in with my regular food, just for a month or so, to help put weight and coat back on the odd female here after a large litter. It's been a while since I have used it so I forget the name, "Old Roy something" but if you read the labels, it's there.

I would not feed my dogs Old Roy dog food if I got it for free! Check out the review on www.dogfoodadvisor.com

I think Nature's Farmacy has a product called "Gain and Shine" which many folks use to put weight on a dog.

No Way!
I would not feed my dogs Old Roy dog food if I got it for free! Check out the review on www.dogfoodadvisor.com

God, you are very naive. It's not about what a web site says, it's how the dog does on the food. Dogs eat grass, weeds, dead animal carcasses (gophers!) and other animals' feces. Do you ever see those ingredients on a dog food bag?

Not naive at all! I do not pay for the yucky stuff that all dogs seem to enjoy picking up outside.
I do pay for a quality dog food with good ingredients for my dogs.
To each their own!
Have a nice day!