Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AKC CH boys with their SH or MH

I'm trying to find stud dogs that have a finished Conformation CH and either their completed SH or MH plus any other titles or certificates, so I can keep a list. JH is more common today so that's not necessary but thanks if you know of some. I think we all have or know of many. I have a list of a dozen n a half and know there must be many, many more. Can some of you throw out some names please or stear me in the rite direction like a website please? Colors are not important & I'm not trying to help any breeders get stud service by posting on this list. It would be for my own useage or anyone elses in the near future or later on.

I can check clearances myself and speak to the owners, just names that you know of with both their Conformation Championships + a Senior Hunter or Master Hunter plus more, titles or certificates in Obedience enhance things. Older boys are fine also.

TIA for your appreciated assistance, W.W.

Re: AKC CH boys with their SH or MH

http://thelabradorclub.com/subpages/multi_titled_dogs.php

BISS GRCH Lobuff Major Yeager at Asquam MH

Wonderful black boy!

I am sure all the Ch Senior/Master Hunters are ALL WONDERFUL!

Ditto with Yeager! He is stunning, smart and sweet....the boy has it all!

Thanks for all the posts. I love those Champions that go on to their other titles especially Senior & Master Hunters. These combined are all the qualities our breed is all about.

You must remember not everyone has the time/money/interest to pursue a hunting title. Doesn't mean their dogs can't do it, the owners just might not have the financial ability to pay for expensive training and the like. Look at what a dog produces as well - how many hunt-test titled get have they produced? The working ability in the lines is IMHO more important than a single dog getting a title.

Especially in the present Economy

Best In Show Best In Specialty Show ( for those who do not know what these initials mean)

BIS BISS AM BDA CH SHADOWGLEN AUGUSTUS! CDX! RAE SH WCX TDI

Lab 1
Best In Show Best In Specialty Show ( for those who do not know what these initials mean)

BIS BISS AM BDA CH SHADOWGLEN AUGUSTUS! CDX! RAE SH WCX TDI

I'm not the OP, but if you know this dog well or have pups of his I would love to chat with you, he is one I would like to know more about, my email address will work. Thanks.

Breeder
You must remember not everyone has the time/money/interest to pursue a hunting title. Doesn't mean their dogs can't do it, the owners just might not have the financial ability to pay for expensive training and the like. Look at what a dog produces as well - how many hunt-test titled get have they produced? The working ability in the lines is IMHO more important than a single dog getting a title.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion Breeder but there's no reason to post it within a request information thread.

I do pedigree research and don't rely on a single dog getting any title, including a conformation, hunting or obedience title.

There are plenty that rely on the most popular dog that won WD or BOW at The Potomac for that year. That doesn't make that dog any more special that the dogs he went up against.

Weekend warrior

There are plenty that rely on the most popular dog that won WD or BOW at The Potomac for that year. That doesn't make that dog any more special that the dogs he went up against.

No more special than the dogs he went up against? So you're saying the dog who didn't make a cut, never placed in a class, no points, etc... is in the same league as a Potomac-winner? Whatever - but you are in the same boat just looking for titles...

Breeder
Weekend warrior

No more special than the dogs he went up against? So you're saying the dog who didn't make a cut, never placed in a class, no points, etc... is in the same league as a Potomac-winner? Whatever - but you are in the same boat just looking for titles...

After attending The Potomac this past year, yes I feel that way. The judging was horrid and I know many agreed with me ring-side.

I would trust hunt tests better any day then conformation judging at for example The Potomac unless it's a well respected breeder judge. That was the point I didn't get across properly in my poor wording.

I apologize for my incorrect wording last post. I worked the graveyard shift last night and all last week. It was done so I could be with my family on the 4th of July putting in 16 hours daily. I'm not on much sleep so I shouldn't be posting. Again, you have my apologies.

Breeder

It also does not mean their dogs CAN do it. It is easy to say a dog could do something if asked, but never have the theory be tested. It is like saying a dog could pass clearances if tested, but many do not have the money to spend on clearances so why bother - other dogs in the pedigree have passed clearances so that is good enough - it may be true and it may not; until tested, one does not really know.

Most people who are looking for titled dogs are looking for lines where the owners/breeders have taken the time and/or spent the money to prove these qualities exist and are maintained. It ensures a certain known standard has been met. Whether or not this means something to all people is irrelevant. There are many people who feel meeting a certain standard is as important in the field as it is in the show ring, and it is a lot easier to find those dogs when the pedigrees are filled with titles than to go out and watch each dog personally in the field. The only way for lines to have titled dogs in the pedigrees is for individual dogs within those lines to earn them. Typically, one does not invest time and energy in a dog that does not have "it", and many dogs do not. The ones that do are valuable to a working breed, so it is nice to know who they are.

Working Titles
Breeder

It also does not mean their dogs CAN do it. It is easy to say a dog could do something if asked, but never have the theory be tested. It is like saying a dog could pass clearances if tested, but many do not have the money to spend on clearances so why bother - other dogs in the pedigree have passed clearances so that is good enough - it may be true and it may not; until tested, one does not really know.

Most people who are looking for titled dogs are looking for lines where the owners/breeders have taken the time and/or spent the money to prove these qualities exist and are maintained. It ensures a certain known standard has been met. Whether or not this means something to all people is irrelevant. There are many people who feel meeting a certain standard is as important in the field as it is in the show ring, and it is a lot easier to find those dogs when the pedigrees are filled with titles than to go out and watch each dog personally in the field. The only way for lines to have titled dogs in the pedigrees is for individual dogs within those lines to earn them. Typically, one does not invest time and energy in a dog that does not have "it", and many dogs do not. The ones that do are valuable to a working breed, so it is nice to know who they are.

Working Titles, you're right on! Everything costs money when you're a hobby breeder. I've heard many a breeder say they have no interest in anything but conformation. Their dogs may just not pass anything, who knows but when I see nothing in the line with a title on the back end it makes me wonder why.

A good discussion on your part with lots of great points.

Theres nothing wrong with that either. Many dogs are owned by field people that have no interest in conformation. Same-O.

Debit
Theres nothing wrong with that either. Many dogs are owned by field people that have no interest in conformation. Same-O.

It is only the same thing if those dogs are being used for breeding. Many field (and other performance) people are running their pets for fun. I expect breeders to hold themselves to a higher standard, so the breeders of those dogs should ensure their dogs at the very minimum have proper structure. Breeders who send their poorly structured dogs (from either field OR show lines)into working homes are doing a complete disservice to their puppy buyers and their dogs. An upright dog doing agility is a painful thing to watch and a ewe necked dog being asked to retrieve game in water is cruel....

The OP asked about dogs that have earned both a CH (indicating conformation to the breed standard) and a working field title (indicating it had met a specific performance standard). In my mind, dogs that meet both sets of standards are more desirable than unknown dogs or dogs having a very difficult time of meeting one or the other. Of course health is the third component that must be considered.

Personally, I do not think it ok for either "side" to ignore or not care about the other - both are equally important!