Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EIC test on OFFA

Can someone explain to me why we have to run the EIC test through U of Minn for it to appear on the offa.org website?

I have heard great things about DDC and will probably test with them but wish the results could be in the database.

Who decides these things and is there a chance that DDC will someday be a part of the database or is it some proprietary thing that who develops the test has exclusive rights with OFA?

Re: EIC test on OFFA

I have used DDC and like them, but there is no verification of the dog's ID required (owner swabs and sends in), which is probably one reason why OFA does not recognize results.

I understand that they would like perm ID - but they do accept their own x-rays of dogs with no perm ID

Cerf also accepts exams on dogs with no perm ID but OFA won't list those, either?

The opthamologist that I use doesn't have a wand and most opth. don't check for one - but no Cerf on OFA unless they have perm ID

Oh, who cares if the test result is on OFA or not. Do the DDC test, get your certificate and be done with it. If it's for your bitch, you KNOW you did the test and tested the right dog. If it's for your stud, if you are a reputable person and honest, then it should be no trouble for you to print off a stud packet for your boy and pass it on to a prospective bitch owner. Folks don't always send in CERF either.

I am not paying extra money just to meet ridiculous standards that some folks have. If you are an upstanding person and test the correct dogs, that should be good enough. I don't need the microchip police to tell me that my DDC test isn't good enough because the dog's chip was not verified and the results aren't on OFA.

what you said

How is UofMinn testing done to prove the dog is who the breeder says he or she is? Is it a blood test? If yes then it's more money and shipping plus a vet visit.

I do EIC testing with DDC for all my girls.

I don't care if it's on OFA for my girls. Most stud dog owners have it done by UofMinn to have it on OFA and I understand them wanting that. Same as Optigen not being just by parentage for a stud dog. Well used boys can father many pups, 100's if not 1000's depending on how much use they get.I know of some boys at 26 months that were used 15 to 25 times in their 1st month after final ofa's and sometimes it goes upward monthly. Especially if they're 1 of the favorites of that year. I think it's proper to do as many stud dog clearances as possible that appear on ofa, especially heart echoes for any sex. Girls don't need as much showing up on ofa necessarily as long as the owner has documentation of all of their testing.

DDC is a $10 to $15 cheaper test fee & I like them. Turn around is a fast week and prices are right. Shame they don't allow them on ofa especially when a 3rd party chip scans and swabs the dog like at potomac for example. Oh well, something else we're not happy with but have no say in.

As far as I know, it's like many of the other DNA tests. The founding lab who did the research and developed the test is going to be more highly regarded than the ones who are cookbooking it after the fact. Optigen bought the rights to the PRA test menthods years ago, hence, has those rights w/ OFA.

What is even more interesting is OFA allows the CNM Results from DDC to be posted on the OFA Database but not the EIC Results??

I just created a PDF Link of all of my boys Clearancs and added it to my website. There are so many Free PDF Creator programs out there it cost nothing and only takes a few minutes to create the file and even quicker to add the link to your website.

What is going on???? I just did EIC testing with DDC two weeks ago and received my results. I wanted to test two of my other dogs also and I go onto the DDC site to order the kits and it says they NO longer do EIC testing. What??? Does anyone have any info about this? Who can I use for EIC testing now if not DDC?

Well crap. I just hung up from them. They said that they had to halt because University of Minnesota has a patent pending on it.

I confirmed with them that there were NO issues related to the validity of the tests they have performed previously and they assured me that was not the case and the ONLY reason is the patent pending.

:(

AMEN!!!!

me
Oh, who cares if the test result is on OFA or not. Do the DDC test, get your certificate and be done with it. If it's for your bitch, you KNOW you did the test and tested the right dog. If it's for your stud, if you are a reputable person and honest, then it should be no trouble for you to print off a stud packet for your boy and pass it on to a prospective bitch owner. Folks don't always send in CERF either.

I am not paying extra money just to meet ridiculous standards that some folks have. If you are an upstanding person and test the correct dogs, that should be good enough. I don't need the microchip police to tell me that my DDC test isn't good enough because the dog's chip was not verified and the results aren't on OFA.

me

DDC is no longer doing any EIC testing

DDC and Animal Genetics are no longer running EIC tests because of a patent issue with the University of Minnesota. So now there seems to be no other choice. Unless you want to take a chance with InGen.

flusher
DDC and Animal Genetics are no longer running EIC tests because of a patent issue with the University of Minnesota. So now there seems to be no other choice. Unless you want to take a chance with InGen.

Yeah - no thanks to Ingen - I'm sure most of us feel that way. Of course I got an email last week warning me to get all my testing done with Ingen as they were raising their prices for the first time in 3 years (or something like that). REALLY? Does anyone still use them?