Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Will I miss this breeding?

My girl 5.8 on Friday night, had Sire owner ship on Friday in anticipation of the weekend for Sat. Received shipment on Sat. and went to the Vets today Sunday to do the AI after using the Vets microscope with 2 Vets present today (Sunday) 2 Vets could not find one dead or alive sperm anywhere in the large sample! Substrate and extender only. Should I even waste more money on a 2nd shipment to send tomorrow for Tuesday??????? I have just tried to email and phone a big breeder an hour from me but she might not be home?????? I am so worried and disgusted.

Re: Will I miss this breeding?

I would take a step back and make sure your chosen stud is being managed properly. It is not a simple thing to manage a stud dog. If you feel uncertain, I would suggest finding a backup stud dog to help alleviate your mind.

This happened to us a while back and the stud dog manager made two horrific mistakes and we ended up with a bunch of crappy sperm.

A good stud dog manager would be able to accommodate you with some ease.

What you need to know is, did the stud owner check the semen before it was sent? If not, you really can't depend on this person. He/she may mean well, but that is not helpful. If the semen was checked and looked great before it was sent, maybe the heat or whatever is to blame. If not, take a pass on a second shipment and try to find a backup boy ASAP. Monday is your very best day and Tuesday is good too.

Did they give it time to warm up or check it chilled. This has happen to someone on the other end of one of my shipments and after it warmed up there was plenty of activity and semen. But she called all alarm. Later to say sorry. Just thinking.

I was on the receiving end of a shipment from a big breeder - difference is mine had lots of sperm, but none motile. Followed the directions, warmed it up etc etc and nada - needless to say bitch didn't get pregnant.....

Thanks everyone. The Sire owner admitted to me she never checked it before shipping and it was a little substrate and extender but no milky semen at all........She offered to send another today for tomorrow but told No thanks and went to breed to a wonderful Stud dog today owned by a long time well respected Breeder. We had a huge sample and AI today. Hopefully I have caught it. Very dissapointed with Sire owner.

I'm sorry to hear that with the first stud owner...but glad you were able to find another one in time and hopefully you'll have wonderful puppies in 63 days or so :)
I wonder why the stud dog owner didn't check the sample prior of shipment?