Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Raw diets- do they affect the size of the dog?

I've been toying with the idea of switching my 6 month old to raw. I've fed raw to adults in the past but never to a growing pup. Is it true that a pup fed raw won't have the same amount of bone or substance that a kibble fed pup would have?

Re: Raw diets- do they affect the size of the dog?

One of my pups went to a raw feeding home. Don't know if it was the raw or the owner who simply did not feed enough, but the puppy did not grow up to have normal bone and substance.

I really doubt that feeding a raw diet could alone be responsible fora dog not achieving full substance or size. I've been feeding a raw diet to my dogs and pups for many years with stunning results - full size dogs in terrific health.

Doubtful.

We have raised a few Bernese Mtn dog litters on raw and did not see any more or less bone or substance.

I fed raw for about 2 years. I found the coats were not as hard.

All raw diets are not the same. many people think they are in fact doing well by feeding raw, but miss out on the proper mix of vitamins and minerals.

it is difficult to do and is not a quick fix.

Fred
All raw diets are not the same. many people think they are in fact doing well by feeding raw, but miss out on the proper mix of vitamins and minerals.

it is difficult to do and is not a quick fix.

It's certainly more difficult than pouring out kibble, but once freezers have been bought and suppliers figured out it's not so difficult to accomplish. The advantages are certainly worth it. Some may not like it because puppies do grow more slowly (not good for the show ring amongst the giants - ha ha!) but they don't go through growth spurts and they don't get pano.

What are the advantages?

Sighttosea
What are the advantages?

For the dog:
Vibrant health
Clean teeth
Enjoyable food
(Labs go nuts for kibble, but they DANCE for raw!)

For humans:
No doggy smell
Dogs are more tolerable to allergic humans
Dogs tend to be calmer (no grains)
Small poops that crumble to dust if you miss one
(only one or two poops a day)
Ingredients are known and not from China
Knowledge that dogs are getting the best (human grade) diet we can give, that the ingredients won't suddenly change and that there won't be recalls (with all the implications of that)

Thank You, Can you tell me how much a day it costs to feed 1 dog?

Sighttosea
Thank You, Can you tell me how much a day it costs to feed 1 dog?

Currently, about $2.25 a day for my ten month old lab puppy.

I buy beef and pork roasts (and chickens) when they are on sale, stock up and freeze. I also live near a chicken processing plant who can get cases of necks for a low price as well as giblets. I have access to cheap frozen bulk fish which I feed twice a week.