Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Labs and (mountain) lions and tigers and bears...

A couple in Vermont wants to purchase a pup from me. They would make an excellent home for a puppy (prior dog ownership, good work situation for a dog, stable family environment, financial security to care for dog's needs, etc.) but in the course of our conversation they mentioned that a mountain lion had been killing their chickens, and said that they never had a problem with the predator when their other dog was alive. (She died two years ago of cancer.) I suspect they're using the term mountain lion interchangeably with bobcat, but regardless, it's got me worried. I've never had this come up before when placing a pup. For those of you living in areas with these predators, what has your experience been? Do I say no because of the big cat or is that being overly protective? This family has two young children so they definitely want to keep their property safe.

Re: Labs and (mountain) lions and tigers and bears...

I live in a very rural part of North Carolina. I have seen bobcat, beavers, red and gray foxes, coyote, owls, and hawks. Haven't yet seen a bear, but one was reported to be prowling in the county next to mine. All of them can kill chickens, but they would all have more trouble with a Lab puppy. I am much more worried about
transmission of rabies by raccoon, possum, and bats.

Oh yes, and poisonous snakes...

And homeless, unvaccinated dogs dropped off by irresponsible owners...

And cars driven far too fast down country roads by
people who drink and drive...

Honestly I would tell them to look more into a livestock guardian dog like a Kuvasz or Great Pyrenees.

We have mountain lions where I live ( and bears, coyotes, etc. ), I don't leave my dogs outside unless it is a group of dogs ( not a single dog alone )...something got my daughters old cattle dog a few yrs ago, and I still have nightmares over it!

Coyotes can kill adult labradors. I've seen it happen.

Just Me Too
Coyotes can kill adult labradors. I've seen it happen.

Did that happen during the day time?

Early morning - 6:30 am - in the summer so it was light.

I wouldn't do it with a single Lab. Lots of wildlife here and they will stalk and test the fencing. They finally shot our Mountain Lion. He was walking right across our porch.
Look up Mountain Lion attacks. I saw a picture of one that grabbed a Donkey , the owner heard him and saved the Donkey.
They are big and not afraid of anything, even with noise and yelling they don't change their pace. They scare the heck out of me.

Okay...I think there are "dangers" just about everywhere which is what I suspect Kate was alluding to. I think common sense needs to prevail at some point.

Where is the puppy going to spend it's time in it's new home? What are their expectations for this dog? If it is to be a farm dog and a guardian then yes, another breed might be a better choice. What precautions are they going to take since they know a mountain lion or bobcat are coming onto their property?

I had to keep all the dogs in the house and we built kennel tops so the lion coun't get to them. They are indangered and you can only shoot one if you are attacked and then you have to file a report right away and they investigate. It was really scary!
The only way Fish and Game will do anything is after they attack and kill.
A coyote ate my dogs toe through the fence in the beach area where there are greenbelts for the wildlife.
They wouldn't do anything until the coyote atacked a little boy the next week at the school and had him by the head.
If I had a puppy, I wouldn't let him go to this home especially since this lion is a daylight hunter. She needs to get a Guardian dog for safety. Just my opinion which doesn't mean much because I am so darned afraid of them.

If this pup is going to be a house dog like so many of ours are, then I wouldn't give the wildlife in their area any thought.

If this pup is going to be an outside yard dog with no supervision, THAT would be my point of discussion, not the mountain lion.

I would assume that a normal, responsible family would do their best to keep their puppy and THEMSELVES safe. I live on acreage with coyotes (bobcats in the woods nearby). I don't let my dogs out unsupervised, not because of the animals, but because I am a good responsible dog owner. I live in a rural area and we have wild things all over. I supposed I could have NOT sold ANY of my puppies for fear that maybe something could have gotten one of them.

Find a responsible trustworthy family that will raise your pup right with alot of love. Let them worry about keeping it out of harms way. If you picked the right people, THAT WILL HAPPEN NATURALLY.

Just Me Too
Early morning - 6:30 am - in the summer so it was light.

Thanks. Glad we don't get up quite that early. We hear them at night and I do let the dogs out by themselves last thing before bed, but we are fenced in the back, so I hope the coyotes don't jump over!

I have labs and live in area with bears, bobcat, coyote, dear, porcupine, the phantom mountain lion, and moose and we have no problems. The dogs do tend to keep the predators away or at least warn of their presence. We walk in the woods with all these critters and I have the dogs wear bells. This warns the wildlife of our existence. Wild critters don't want to mix with humans. Common sense applies, we avoid foraging in the yard at dusk and night, puppies are always on leash, I scope and listen before we go out at night if anyone really has to. Perhaps inquire how they will protect the puppy from predators. Sounds like a great home.

Reality is this: wildlife is everywhere as hunting declines. I live in a bedroom community of New York City, only 30 miles from Manhattan. We have had all kinds of wildlife, and it is not afraid, as there is no hunting in my part of the county. Coyotes are huge, bigger than most GSDs. We even have had a couple mountain lion scares. Where they came from, whether the wild or from some pet home, I can't say, but I trust the animal control officer who found signs that back up what other residents saw and what we heard. A mountain lion was killed on the road in CT. There have been coyotes in Manhattan. Bats carry rabies and can be a worry anywhere. Reality is that you can't even place a dog in the center of New York City without wildlife worries. Go by your gut. If you think they are good dog owners, go for it. If not, no preaching will make them reform.

The world is full of predators, and the most dangerous
of them is the human species. Be sure you are giving the puppy to someone who will take good care of it.

This is why I'm glad I live in the country and own several rifles - to the chagrin of some of the varmints who have been troublemakers.

While I do live in the country, it was three of the neighbor's five pit bulls that came through my fence, attacked and mauled my dog, and bit me.

Take the advice of above posters - go with your gut feeling on the people, inquire about whether this will be an inside or outside dog, and, if inside, trust that they will care for the puppy and the adult dog it will become.