Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kennels without AC - how do you keep them cool?

My 5 dogs are currently in the air conditioned house.
Our typical set up is at night they are crated in the garage, during the day they play in their acre play area which has igloos and an easy up for shade along with a pool. However, now it's 100 degrees here, so they are inside the house.

We are planning to build a kennel next year and don't think we can afford to put AC in it. How are others with kennels keeping their dogs cool without AC?

Re: Kennels without AC - how do you keep them cool?

Put a window unit in - they are only a few hundred dollars and keep the kennel cooler than outside. Plant fast-growing trees if you don't have trees already for shade - makes a huge difference especially when you do cool it. And keep their water cold, baby pools, etc..

You can build the kennel with a special design for hot climates. Like those big and tall barns with extractors in the ruff. You can always bring the dogs in the house if it gets too hot. This summer has been above average warmer for most of the country and pets should be indoors when temps go over 90-95. Shade trees is a great idea.

we are in the hot south, kennel building is tall and shaded by trees, lots of open doors with 5 foot tall and wide industrial fans and misters. Even on the hottest days it is about 80 in there with the air moving through like a wind tunnel.

Also everyone has access to outside yards with lots of trees and short sided water troughs for quick cooling off.

Use fans and misters if you can.

Both work quite well. They keep the cows cooler in the barns why not the dogs?

They keep cows cool? How nice--our dogs are just like livestock

How special that someone actually cares enough about the cows to cool them. Applause!!!! My dogs have air and fans and they are in a BARN during the day. Nevermine that heifer that was sarcastic. Her milk is sour.

Sorry but fans and misters won't drop the temperature 20 degrees in humid conditions - simple thermodynamics will tell you that. I much prefer drying and cooling the air with an actual airconditioning unit, my dogs appreciate it!

BS
How special that someone actually cares enough about the cows to cool them. Applause!!!! My dogs have air and fans and they are in a BARN during the day. Nevermine that heifer that was sarcastic. Her milk is sour.
LOL!! Love your response(s)!!!

Breeder
Sorry but fans and misters won't drop the temperature 20 degrees in humid conditions - simple thermodynamics will tell you that.

Guess you haven't been in up to date dairy barns lately in Florida....YES they do drop the temp 20 degrees.

these are not baby fans moving air they are wind tunnel type fans, constantly circulating and pushing the heat out of the barns.

this is similar to the two I have in the kennels with misters attached. picked them up at an auction..............http://auburn.craigslist.org/tls/3101230807.html

the heat all of the US is dealing with is what we deal with every summer.

nice
They keep cows cool? How nice--our dogs are just like livestock

The poster never said dogs were like livestock she was stating a fact....if the fans can keep a group of 1000 lb cows cool it would work for a group of 80 lb dogs.

We have a window unit and a large barn fan to move the air. It keeps the humidity down which goes a long ways to making it comfortable and dry. We also put sheep tubs in the play yard and fill them daily with cold water for the dogs to play in. We put these under the shade trees to keep them somewhate cool...remember that water heats up quickly in these temps.

When you build...invest in good insulation...it will go a long way to keeping your heating/cooling bills reasonable in all seasons. It makes a HUGE difference!!

Where is the "LIKE" button when you need it?!?!?

BS