Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Peas - A Natural Contraceptive?

Got this from a friend this morning ~

Many 'grain-free' as well as 'normal' dog foods are now adding peas to the ingredients, sometimes they are listed 2-3 times in different forms. According to several human pregnancy sites, peas contain a chemical (natural) that is a cause of infertility. A natural chemical in peas (m-xylohydroquinone) can prevent pregnancy – and peas are being studied as a possible natural contraceptive!
http://ezinearticles.com/?Fertility-Boosting-Tactics---The-Vegetable-That-Could-Be-Preventing-Your-Pregnancy&id=919884

Hmmmm, wonder if there are nay implications with our dogs? Can the human findings extrapolate to dogs?!

Re: Peas - A Natural Contraceptive?

Canidae ALS has peas as the 7th ingredient. So far, no issues here w/ fertility and I've fed it for years.

I have a dog who tested allergic to peas and flaxseed. She seems to do best on grain free but try finding a grain free food without those 2 ingredients! Have only found 2 brands without either and one was recalled so won't feed it. Peas are just another type of cheap filler.

Does this apply only to the actual seeds or to the pods as well? I grow peas in my garden and the dogs get pea pods as treats. I've always assumed they were a nice healthy treat.

Soy is another one...

Fromm's is loaded with peas, pea flour, pea protein etc. I was feeding Fromm's for around 6 months when one of my girls had a silent heat and another has missed her heat completely. Going to research this more but no more peas for us!!!

LOL that reminds me of a co-owner I used to have that fed peas with the food hoping the dog would lose weight.