Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
7 week old puppy falling over

I just had my 7 week puppies outside in the shade with pans of fresh water available. It is very hot here. They were running around as puppies do. One yellow fellow just started falling over. He was not able to right himself. I plopped him in the pan of water and immediately brought him and the other puppies into their air conditioned space.
They got their first check up this morning with my vet and everything is okay.
No problem eating the dinner that was served:)
I'm freaked out. . . never saw this before. Do you think it is just the heat?
Genetically, these puppies can not by EIC affected.

What do you think? Thanks.

Re: 7 week old puppy falling over

Were the puppies vaccinated and/or wormed recently? That would add additional stress, and the heat may have been the final tipping point.

Were the puppies vaccinated today? If so the puppy could have a fever from the vaccine ( vaccine reaction), plus the heat of the day. Have you checked the puppies temp? If the puppy isn't right I would take it to the vet for a check up and fluids. Best of luck with the little one.

It could be just simple overheating, still very dangerous, but you did the right thing by responding immediately and dunking him in cool water to cool his body temperature down.
Something else I would consider is a liver shunt. This can cause neurological signs like minor seizures, especially soon after eating anything with protein in it. Observe this puppy closely, don't want to scare you but if it happens again, you need to bring him in to your vet for a liver shunt test (bile acids test if I remember correctly).

Thank you all for your responses. The puppy's temperature was normal throughout. He seemed fine later iin the evening. All the puppies seemed wiped out even in their air conditioned environment. But, they ate and were playful. They were wormed yesterday.

Glad to hear that all is well!

I would keep an eye on that puppy-liver shunt comes to mind.