Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PERIODIC VOMITING

Dog vomits a couple of times a week, almost always during night or pre-dawn. Thought it was from eating grass, but I've been controlling that. Vet x-rayed (clear), prescribed antibiotic (cautionary), 1 pepcid each night, and bland food--all for one week. Have been feeding her chicken and rice (vet's suggestion) for 5 days--no vomiting until yesterday, 4th day. No blood in vomit. There hadn't been a change in her regular food before switiching to the bland diet. Appetite is excellent, all attitudes unchanged, except slightly slowed down due to intense heat. Any ideas of how to proceed? Barium test? I thought you only do that if there is blood in vomit. Any ideas would be welcome. Thank you.

Re: PERIODIC VOMITING

Is the emesis foamy bile, or is it undigested food? I had a male Lab that would vomit foamy bile almost every night, until I learned about "empty stomach syndrome". I started giving him a good sized dog biscuit (or two) before bed every night and the vomiting stopped. This may not be what is going on with your dog, but it may be worth a try to rule it out, before you spend a lot more money on testing.

Good luck!

Most times it's undigested food, occasionally just bile. She is fed twice a day (7am/7pm) so I don't think it's empty stomach syndrome. She does eat super-fast, so she usually eats from one of those partitioned, "slow-down" dishes to force her to eat more slowly.Thanks for your response.

Our cocker has been doing that for pretty much his whole life (vomiting once a week or so overnight) and we never have been able to figure out what it was except maybe the empty stomach syndrome. It's gotten so routine for us that we just clean it up and forget about it. He's 11 years old and going strong.

I think that if you are concerned you might run some simple bloodwork and see if anything is out of the norm

I had a bitch that used to do this prior coming into season.

I would try to give the dog an evening treat before bedtime to see if it is Empty Stomach Syndrome before I poo poo'd the idea.

i have a mini-poodle who vomited approx 1-2x/wk for years. i changed her food to a lamb & rice formula & it stopped.