Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What to do ?

What to do --- I own a male that I really cannot use on any of the girls I have at the moment. I have 2 youngsters, under 8 months of age that I could use him with once the girls have had all their final clearances.
This boy has 9 points, plus his prelims, Optigen, EIC, CERF & CNM clearances. I also have his litter mate sister, and co-own another male from the same litter. All of these dogs are doing very well in the ring. Multiple BOB & Group placements.

My question is, do I keep the boy I have until he turns two & see how he does on his OFA finals, or place him and use his litter mate brother at a later date for my breeding program?
T.I.A

Re: What to do ?

You have a youngster sitting on 9pts with group placements and your seriously thinking about placing him?? Is this AKC?

Yes, AKC.
But I ask myself do I really need both boys. Both males have the same clearances and almost the same amount of points, both have Group placememnts too.

Alot of us would like to have your dilema. Are both boys equal in structure and type? Maybe one boy has a virtue your bitch line needs, or even might not have a failing that your bitch line might have? I personally, if everything is equal, try to place him with a friend or family member intact for insurance.
Also, I have seen litter brothers produce completely different quality offspring. I wouldn't be in a hurry to make a rash decision you may later regret. Only you know your situation and what you can keep. I hope this is of some help.

Have you done the heart clearance?

If the only reason you have him is for breeding and you have access to similar genes/same pedigree, you don't need him, get rid of him.

If he's a nice dog you like having around because you enjoy having a sweet companion (nothing like a boy to LOVE YOU), keep him.

Obviously to be thinking about it outloud, you are looking for a reason to sell him. Might as well do it.

Have you collected both boys to see if semen is good? Is one better than the other?

Thank you all for your input. I have to say that I had not considered that Anon & ......, Thanks.

me

If the only reason you have him is for breeding and you have access to similar genes/same pedigree, you don't need him, get rid of him.

If he's a nice dog you like having around because you enjoy having a sweet companion (nothing like a boy to LOVE YOU), keep him.

Obviously to be thinking about it outloud, you are looking for a reason to sell him. Might as well do it.

A heart clearance is only done at 12 mos or after so why are you asking if it was done at 9 mos?

OP, only you can make the decision but I think it's pretty obvious.

confused
me

A heart clearance is only done at 12 mos or after so why are you asking if it was done at 9 mos?

Where did you read that someone said anything about 9 months? Did I miss something?

Maybe I'm missing something. If the male you have, and the male from the same litter are doing equally well in the ring, but NEITHER of them have final clearances, why on earth would you be thinking of placing your boy thinking that you have the other one in your hip pocket? One, or both, could fail final clearances. Which one? I would certainly be keeping the pig in the poke before I would rely on either of them turning out. Plenty of time later for final decisions. Voice of experience....

If you like him, keep him. Especially if you like him as much or better than the other boy.

Don't ever bank on the co-owned dog. Anything could happen there.

I have two littermates that I love! Have used both and others have used both.

There are other popular littermate boys I can think of. The two black Fortune boys come to mind. Love them both. I plan to use one on one of my bitches and one on the other.

confused

If you READ the original post, the dog has prelims and all the other clearances. Many folks wait to do prelims after they are 12 months or a bit older, so I wanted to know if heart was done too.

Original post stated the person has 2 8 month old bitches that could be used with this boy later on (the rest of her bitches could not).

Also, the dog has 9 POINTS, not 9 months old. They never stated age of the dog.

I like the idea of check semen. Good advice there. How about do both dogs have all teeth? Both dogs may be equal, go for full dentition.

I'm 100 per cent with Gregg---you simply cannot predict how they will turn out at 2 or 3 years old, so do not even consider placing him assuming the brother will be fine. And the co-ownership thing often turns out to be a disappointing loss of control over your breeding program, even with the best of friends/best of intentions. A bird in the hand.....
Voice of experience here, too!
BTW, we are all jealous of your "problem!"

Thank you all for your insight. You made several good points, one of which I had not considered, checking semen of both boys. I knew I could count on you guys.