Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Back to Back Specialty Sows- which do you prefer?

As a traveling show person which would you prefer; Friday/Saturday shows or Saturday/Sunday shows? Which is easier on your travel, work, kennel, home, ect.

Thanks!

Re: Back to Back Specialty Sows- which do you prefer?

Yes, I know...it says Sows!! Supposed to be Shows but it wont let me edit it!!!

I myself prefer Sat/Sun, requires less time off work. JMHO

I am not able to take days off, so I really prefer Saturday/Sunday shows!

Saturday/Sunday shows are easier for me. Thanks for asking!

Takin' a Poll
As a traveling show person which would you prefer; Friday/Saturday shows or Saturday/Sunday shows? Which is easier on your travel, work, kennel, home, ect.

Thanks!

Re: Back to Back Specialty Shows- which do you prefer?

I prefer sows cos they can really make the bacon.

Seriously though and to answer your question, I prefer a Sat/Sun if there are no all-breed shows on Sun. If it is conjunction with all-breeds, then Fri/Sat and the all-breed on Sunday is fine.

I prefer Thurs/Fri... But that's because I usually work on weekends! I'd rather have good judges and a good show site over certain days of the week though.

I prefer Fri/Sat so I have Sunday to rest and get things done at home before I go back to work Mon.
PS, I HATE Thurs/Fri shows!!

I prefer the Saturday/Sunday specialties, as I work during the week. I'm really happy when the specialties have obedience and rally trials attached because we do that too

I have to sadly pass on many of the Thurs/Fri specialties that I would love to go to because I have a full time Mon-Fri job with only so many vacation days a year. Thurs/Fri means taking off 2 days of work and if they are far a third day for traveling. I love the Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun specialties because I can go without having to take off most of a week of work.

Well unfortunately it is usually the case that our specialty shows have to be held on the dates that are open or available. At Pioneer Valley we have our back to back on Friday and Saturday because Sunday has a show that has been on that date for many years. It is hard to find workers for Friday but we have a great core group of worker/members :)

Lois is absolutely right. Dog shows have been going on for years and years. The weekend dates were taken ages ago. The only way lab clubs could use Saturday & Sunday dates would be if the clubs who own those dates were willing to give up their lab entries. Many a request has been made and turned down. The date owners simply do not want to give up entries.

Thinking about a specialty show, I think there is usually some sort of drive involved. Considering that, Friday would be a travel day with the back to back shows on Saturday and Sunday.

The small downside is driving back on sunday night which is not always easy, and back to work monday.

Taking a day vacation on Thursday for travel and showing friday and saturday is sometimes easier. Then the sunday is left for travel and getting ready for the work week.

It is a crap-shoot either way.