Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Size - when to give up

I have a year old boy that is small compared to my other boy that is 3 months older out of differant lines. I'm doing prelims on him this week. He's very well put together, placed in all his specialty classes but he is small. At what point should I give up on him growing any more?

Re: Size - when to give up

First, we must define "small".......is he IN standard at 22.5". To show, they must be within standard out of pup class, but 12-18 offers some of that growth variation.

talk to the breeders of that line and find out if they can continue gaining height through maturing as mine do, often until 3 or 4yrs.

Problem is, if the pedigree is made up of several kennel names and put together by a short timer, you may not get a great ability to predict.

My boys are bottom standard at 22.5" and look pretty ridiculous in the ring with 24" males, but I do not see mine as small, just what makes me happy.

So, when do you give up? I think if he does not "fill your eye", he never may.

well wishes

Wondering
I have a year old boy that is small compared to my other boy that is 3 months older out of differant lines. I'm doing prelims on him this week. He's very well put together, placed in all his specialty classes but he is small. At what point should I give up on him growing any more?

As long as they grow to standard, I actually prefer smaller. I think some of the massive boys we are seeing in the ring these days are not accurate reflections of what our breed was designed for.

I have a smaller stud and absolutely LOVE him. Some people who have bred to him have placed GORGEOUS puppies too soon because they thought they were too small. Their mistake in my opinion. My dogs typically grow until 18 months of age. If you are thinking of placing him, call the stud owner (in case it's me). They (or I) might want him.

breeder
Wondering

As long as they grow to standard, I actually prefer smaller. I think some of the massive boys we are seeing in the ring these days are not accurate reflections of what our breed was designed for.

I have a smaller stud and absolutely LOVE him. Some people who have bred to him have placed GORGEOUS puppies too soon because they thought they were too small. Their mistake in my opinion. My dogs typically grow until 18 months of age. If you are thinking of placing him, call the stud owner (in case it's me). They (or I) might want him.

How interesting and refreshing. I have been seeing a push lately where the dogs being shown seem to exceed the breed standard by more than and inch or two.

Dogs mature slowly and he might not be his full size until 24 months or more.

Thank you for your replies. He is absolutely gorgeous but small right now - I'm not in a hurry to place him so if his hip prelims look good then he is staying right here with me. Thanks again!