Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stinky Labrador

We just met a 6 y.o. labrador who smelled very "doggy". We spent some time with him playing around in the water, and when he came out and dried off a bit the smell was very strong. In contrast, my two didn't smell at all after swimming so I don't think it was the water.

Does anyone have any helpful ideas for the owner, who says she bathes him every other day!!!! I wonder if it's the kibble he's being fed? He looked ok to me, i.e. not mangy.

Re: Stinky Labrador

Maybe he's got a yeast infection of his skin/ears/ feet??

I'd stop bathing him unless she wants to try something like Nizoral shampoo - follow the directions on the bottle for people use. Might be a little expensive at ~$15/bottle.

Another thing they could do if they don't mind the smell of vinegar is to go to the pharmacy/ Wal Mart/ etc and buy Buro-Sol (burrow's solution) powder packets. Mix as directed and put in a spray bottle.

Spray twice daily at least & after every swimming episode (after toweling off the coat)spray the coat by brushing it up from the back to front so you lift and get to the skin. Do the feet/ between the pads etc. You can also buy it as a premix solution (60ml) for using in the ears. If an active infection three times daily for 10 days then once daily and after swimming to dry out the ear canals.

This might bleach out a chocolate/ black coat, but has to smell better than the dog does right now.

Oh - don't spray in the eyes!!

Several things come to mind... Ears and teeth - a trip to the vet could diagnose an ear problem, and at 6 years old he might be due for a dentistry. Could be a coincidence that they noticed the smell. Could be an infection in his sheath... Anal glands could be infected. If it continues a trip to the vet would be a good thing.

All excellent points AND Food does make HUGE difference in odor........better food=less toxins=less coming out of skin/feet

One of my dogs was with a neighbor who lived a couple of minutes from my house. I showed him occasionally. When he was several years old he started to stink. Driving to a show, I had to keep the windows down. The dog that had lived in the house, now had to be kept outside or in the garage. The local vet wanted to put him on pred forever as it seemed to help. They finally took him to the vet hospital at the University of Pennsylvania. They diagnosed Rocky with a systemic yeast infection that was throughout his entire body. He was put on oral ketaconazole. In very little time, he no longer stunk and was back in the house.

Thanks to everyone for their words of wisdom. I have passed the information along to the owner of the Lab.

I am so glad that Joan's neighbour found a resolution to that poor lab's stinky problem. A life of banishment to the garage is no fun for any dog, let alone a Labrador, yet I can appreciate how living with a stinky dog cannot be any fun.