Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CanKC shows- what to expect

This is probably a stupid question....BUT If I were to show in Canada, what would be needed? I have never traveled out of the country before and am considering attending a CanKC show and see how my boy does. I was told UKC is to easy (plus I can never find one that I could attend) and IABCA is not a measure of quality and their title means little. She said CanKC has way more credibility and if I want to mix it up that I should give it a shot. I have only attended AKC shows. I can't remember what I was told was needed; just a drivers license/ identification and my boys health records/ proof of rabies? Is a passport necessary?

Also, any experience from those who have shown at CanKC shows? What can I expect?

Thanks

Re: CanKC shows- what to expect

You need an EDL or passport and your rabies cert :)
Have fun!!
I agree, UKC is pretty meaningless and IABCA is worthless too, a waste of time.
CKC is Canada's AKC and though it's easier to obtain a CH, it is still way more credible than those other things.

and you can do well with a more moderate dog.

Only takes 10 points, awarded by 3 different judges. They don't have majors but you do need one 2 point win.

For a US born dog, you will need an "Event Registration Number" to keep your points, I believe within 60 or 90 days of your first point win. It's easy to do on line at the CKC website.

You can register your dog with the CKC but they require a specific brand of Microchip which is not the same brand as the one endorsed by the AKC.

The shows that I've been to have been smaller and very pleasant. I picked up my first ever 3 points at a Canadian show so it's a good place for folks that are new to handling.

There are lots of nice dogs up here who are very competitive at Specialties and AB shows in the US and many of us choose to show south of the border more than here, so don't let that fool you ..

If we are at the shows, you will find that the Canadian Lab breeders are very friendly, welcome the competition from US dogs, and will assist if you need anything.

It will be a fun experience because you aren't involved in the politics and other crap that goes on at many of the shows - much like us being in the US!

Hope to see you at a show soon!

You will also need to either become a member of the CKC or pay a non-member participation fee, which is the same as a membership.

Thanks so much for all your replies! I am hoping soon but not quite sure since I have to plan a head (work). I know there is one coming up that I believe is the last day of August into September 3rd (it was 4 days I believe) and that maybe do-able for me. I can't stay for all 4 days, but would like to attend at least 2 days.

I consider my self new since I have not shown as much as I would like, and I am honest with my self that my handling is a work in progress. Handling classes are once a year, hosted by our kennel club, and I attend as many as I can in the 8 Saturday course. AKC can be a bit harsh, especially with my handicap of being extremely shy, so I have found, and it's difficult to travel extremely far thanks to my work. A few CanKC shows are not as far as most AKC shows so I think I will give it a shot!

I would consider UKC too. Points are easy but competition wins are not unless you or someone else load up the entries with sub par dogs...which can happen. I have a nice boy with AKC wins that doesn't have his UKC CH yet because he wins in labs (lately no others showing) but doesn't win over the flashy gun dogs in group....so no competition. And in some parts of the country UKC is bigger with nice entries of nice labs, so it just like an AKC show but more low key. If you are shy and need experience, it Might be more important for you to gain experience which UKC can do.