Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Canopy/Shelter for dog show shopping

I am shopping for a new shelter/canopy to use at the dog shows. I currently have a First Up gazebo from Wal-mart, but to be honest, it's a huge, heavy pain in the butt (make that my back). I would like something that is lighter to lug around and something one person should be able to set up on their own (can always ask for help, but it would be nice). I usually only haul 2-3 dogs with me, so I don't need tons of space. Anyone have any brilliant products they would like to share? Any particular ones to avoid?

TIA.

Re: Canopy/Shelter for dog show shopping

Try and google Sail Canopy.
You would have to figure out how/what to tie it to.
I've seen some cool ones.

I have had our canopies for over 10 years. I paid a premium price, but it has been well worth the investment. The paint on the legs have finally started to chip off, however, it took 10 years! I plan on buying this brand again when ours finally gives out - Model is the Classic.

Here is the link to Caravan Canopy, Inc. http://caravancanopy.com/

Your dogs will thank you for it!
Michael

A few years ago I bought a real light weight pop up canopy from Walmart. I think it's an 8x8. One person can get it up in a few minutes. I think I paid about $69 for it. It came in Army green and packs up into a case about 4ft long and 4x4 square. No bigger than a fold up chair.
Spring loaded flexible fiberglass rods form the frame for the actual canopy which just slips over the four ends of the rods.

Folks laughed at it when they first saw it but I love it.

I have a SportBrella, it is great SPF 50 fabric, and goes up in 5 seconds, here you go ! You can stick it in the ground, and cover xpens, or use it for yourself ringside laying it down and stake it for shelter for yourself from the wind/rain/sun.

http://sport-brella.com/sport-brella-xl

My husband just bought me a Sports Shelter from a sporting goods store. It was $39.00. It's like half a tent - open on one side. It's 9.9 ft X 6 ft X 5.7 ft open and folds up to 25" x 4.3" x 4.3" and has a bag to store it in. I plan to take it to out of town shows when I don't want to tote the big EZUp. It's similar to Deb Lewis's Sports umbrella.

I bought an 8 x 8 a few years ago, and it was impossible to twist back down. On a small scale I could see the fold downs being easier, but the 8 x 8 was downright lethal! What a waste of money, but it seemed like a great idea because it was lightweight.

Are you wanting the canopy for yourself too or just the dogs? Lowes carries a mesh sun shade that you can tie to the top of the x-pen, which would be very easy to pack and carry.

Thanks for all the input everyone! It will definatly aid me in my shopping! :)

Saw Shalane's Sport-Brella at MVLRC show. Looks perfect for placing over a crate or two. Those gals looked like they enjoyed it too!