Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
greedy eaters/choking

I have nine six-week-old pups that greedily devour their food. I have been feeding them three times a day in two separate pans: a flying saucer dish and a large,shallow metal dish designed for feeding puppies. I tried feeding them in separate bowls but found timing exceptionally difficult. By the time I was feeding the last pups, the first ones were done and trying to push their way into their siblings' bowls.

Because they're so greedy, twice now I've had puppies choke while eating. I thought for sure one was going to die in my arms yesterday but he managed to pull through and is fine. Then today another one started choking but only briefly; still, my heart went into my throat as I worried about a repeat of yesterday. My question is, has anyone else had this problem and if so, what tricks did you use to prevent choking? I worry every time I put the food out for them now.

FWIW they're eating Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Rice for pups but not large breed.

Re: greedy eaters/choking

I soak their kibble in water, so it is very soft, this seems to keep them from choking on their food.

I did that for the first two weeks but now just soak it for maybe five minutes. Guess I'd better go back to completely soft food though.
Thanks.

My adults will choke if their portions are large and it is a lot to eat in a short time. I do not soak, but do add water and it stops the choking.

I always, even with adults soak/add water to kibble. Personally, by that age I am starting to seperate pups a bit maybe three groups of two, in expensive or better yet, each pup in it's own crate

I begin feeding puppies 2 at a time in a soft crate(open the top and plunk them in)by the time they are 5 weeks. I always add hot water and soak for a few minutes, or more, gradually reducing the time soaking as they mature. By the time they are 8 weeks the food hasn't soaked at all...it's just wetted with hot water and stirred. By feeding 2 at a time I can see who is faster/slower and choose which 2 pups will feed nicely together...sure they sometimes swap dishes, but they pretty much end up getting the same amount. No one chokes because there isn't that mad rush to wolf it down.

Try larger amounts of water - like when you put too much milk on a bowl of cereal.

I have two at 6 weeks that choke and then throw up and eat it...(litter of 9)

You have to be careful about megaesophagus. It can happen in puppies and/or the greedy gulping of food can stretch the esophagus and cause pouching. Megaesophagus is genetic.

One of my girls likes to eat very fast and has several times chocked on her food. My heart stop's every time this happens... I don't soak her food in water but I pour water over it just before I feed her and it seems to help... I always put water over my dogs food.
I did hear about a bowl that helps dogs like this to eat more slower.. anyone else heard about this bowl?