Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hot spot/ Tylan powder treatment?

Has anyone tried treating a hot spot by applying Tylan powder directly to the hot spot?
I'm thinking it might be a good idea...a drying powder plus an antibiotic.

Re: Hot spot/ Tylan powder treatment?

Not all antibiotics work on all microorganisms, you might wipe out some good bugs leaving the bad and create more of a problem. Overuse of antibiotics is why there are resistant strains of bacteria. Your dogs immune system will take care of it naturally.

Get some neopredef on hand for your next one. Script from the vet. It works wonders.

As long as you get them early before they get really nasty all I use is this - 2-3 times per day apply some rubbing alcohol to dry the area then apply the regular Gold Bond foot powder to the area. Make sure to work through the area well. Once daily wash area well with a chlorohexadine wash that you can get over the counter from your vet.

Sounds like a creative idea, but Gold Bond works great on hot spots, plus it soothes so the dog is less likely to scratch at the spot. Tylan might be irritating. It's not really a powder - it's a concentrated product meant to be diluted in water. It's also something meant to act on bacteria in the digestive tract, and bacteria in hot spots are not the same.

I would never apply alcohol to a hotspot - it burns!

My vet suggests Phillips Milk of Magnesia on a hot spot twice a day. Works great, Can't be a generic & has to be the original, not flavored. Just used it last week,

I wash the area with antibacterial soap, let it dry and then apply Gold Bond Medicated powder. Works wonders but check your dogs often - better to get it as early as possible. Even when I see a little scratch I do the above to nip any hotspots before they start.

I clean the area with an antibacterial soap, rinse the excess soap off and apply gold bond powder. Works every time

If my dog gets a hot spot I give them the supplement NuVet and it works miracles. I also use cephalexin and spray it with cholorahexidine. Works wonders.

we use 1/3 Listerine, 1/3 baby oil and 1/3 water in a a spray bottle and spray on area twice a day. Gone in 3 days, no shaving and no vet visit, no anitbiotic

Patsy
Get some neopredef on hand for your next one. Script from the vet. It works wonders.
Do not use on a bitch that was bred or who might be pregnant under any circumstances.

It works great but is very dangerous if used on a pregnant bitch.