Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thanks for ear help!

Thank you to "Breeder" for sharing her recipe (below). Although we still do not have pristine ears, this recipe has worked much better than the expensive Vet Solutions earwash and the even more expensive Surulan that we tried. What is more, the labs don't mind it quite as much as the other stuff. I am truly grateful :-).

Breeder wrote:

An old breeder friend told me about using:

2 Tbsp. Boric Acid Powder
1 cup Brown or Gold Listerine (or generic) DO NOT use the minty type!

Mix and put into a squirt type bottle.

Clean ears and squirt into ears. Rub ears for a few seconds and let them shake out the excess.

This works like a charm. You'll see results in 24 hours.

I haven't used any other ear meds since getting this "recipe".

Re: Thanks for ear help!

Is this a solution for yeasty ears? We swim them alot and I feel like I am constantly battling yeasty ears on a couple.

I believe that it does help with yeasty ears. I had one girl tested and she had both yeast and bacteria and her ears are a lot better since we've been using the Listerine wash.

My vet gave me this recipe also. It does work.

How often and how long do you use this if there's yeast/bacteria in the ears? Do you use this also for maintaining healthy ears and how often? Thanks.

Seniors
How often and how long do you use this if there's yeast/bacteria in the ears? Do you use this also for maintaining healthy ears and how often? Thanks.

I hope the original poster will reply.

I don't like squirting liquid in my labs ears because they don't like it, so I put the mixture onto a coton swab and cleaned them that way - gently,with my finger. I did it every day for about a week, then every other day, then as needed. They don't seem to mind, and the smell isn't overpowering.