Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
3 days from whelp - no milk yet

Good morning all,

I need some advice. First breeding produced plenty, no issues. Second breeding for this 3 yr old bitch. X-ray indicates 8 puppies. Today is day 58 from ovulation and I still cannot express any milk. She doesn't even have much mammary tissue. Nipples are size you would expect. She is drinking plenty of fluids although refused breakfast this morning. I have never experienced agalactia and wondering what I can do other than wait for complete delivery and have vet administer pit shot. Looking for any and all suggestions and previous experience. Thanks!

Terri

Re: 3 days from whelp - no milk yet

Hi Terri:

I've had some girls dripping white milk for a week and a half and others who seemed to have nothing right up until they whelped and even after the pups start nursing, but it has always came in and they're fine. Hopefully your girl is just a slow poke this time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hey Terri,

I wouldn't worry too much at this point but you might want to have fenugreek on hand after delivery to help bring in milk as well. I also give them a pudding made of a bunch of stuff including milk and eggs. I'll be happy to pass on the recipe if you want it.

I wouldn't worry. Her milk will come down when the babies arrive.

I've had many girls through the years who didn't have milk till in labor or after the first puppy. I keep Reglan on hand for all litters and have found it to work wonderful for milk production.