Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flying

For those of you who have had buyers fly in and fly out in cabin with their new pups: I have a 10 week old boy, now 24 pounds, whose owner is suppose to be flying in and out this weekend...picking up and flying out. I am in the midwest, he is going back to LA. Got the largest carrier AA would allow in the cabin. If he lays down and sleeps the whole time he would be cramped but ok. How strict are the airlines? Anybody have any suggestions beside a 4 day drive here and back? Cargo is not an option for a young pup plus it's just way too hot.

Re: Flying

I've done it a few times as I will not ship cargo either and if they can shove him in the bag, they will let him on.
The nice stewardess' let them come out after take off :)

brdr
I've done it a few times as I will not ship cargo either and if they can shove him in the bag, they will let him on.
The nice stewardess' let them come out after take off :)

My one buyer experienced this too. Just as long as his carrier can be shoved under the seat in front of you, it's OK if the head sticks out. And later on, you can give the pup more room.

The maximum is 20 pounds and when you go to pay the pet fee, they will look at the health certificate and in my experience will weigh the dog in carrier right there and if it's over 20 pounds the dog can't go. They don't care if you flew out just to get the dog and they won't refund your ticket price.

Hate to say it, but they should have come to get him at 8 weeks when he was light enough. I would look into continental and have him shipped now, or just keep him another month and ship him then (or have the owner fly out when it's cool enough to ship him as excess baggage). Good luck!

I would not be shipping a pup in the heat happening across this country right now. Bet he will fly fine with the new owner. They seem to over look a little as long as they fit under seat. But I sure would not ship a pup and take a chance right now with any airlines.