Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how much play is to much

I have 2 boys who LOVE to play - they both OFA'd PRELIMED at a year good hips and elbows. How much should I let them run and play - they get pretty rough, they have so much fun but I don't want any injuries. So.... how do I balance letting them be "boys" and keeping them safe from injuries?

Re: how much play is to much

It is the weekend warriors that get hurt. If your boys play together for hours every single day, the rough and tumble should not be a problem. If they are only out to play for 15 or so minutes every day, that may be taking a chance.

I love to allow puppies and teenagers free play but the truth is that they do get hurt when running in a pack. Tumbling over each other, skidding to stops, jumping and twisting in mid-air all look like fun but it's also when they get injured.

My youngsters have a small paddock to play in for most of the day. It's almost like a let-down pen for horses when they're recovering from injuries....enough to stretch their legs but not enough to get hurt in. The puppies will play and lounge in this area for most of the day. Two or three times a day they are let out into the big yard to roam. They don't seem to tear around so much after being pals all day, everyday, so the larger area isn't so tempting to them. You should be watchful of your pups and try to monitor them without taking all the fun out of it for them and yourself.

I love to allow puppies and teenagers free play but the truth is that they do get hurt when running in a pack. Tumbling over each other, skidding to stops, jumping and twisting in mid-air all look like fun but it's also when they get injured.

My youngsters have a small paddock to play in for most of the day. It's almost like a let-down pen for horses when they're recovering from injuries....enough to stretch their legs but not enough to get hurt in. The puppies will play and lounge in this area for most of the day. Two or three times a day they are let out into the big yard to roam. They don't seem to tear around so much after being pals all day, everyday, so the larger area isn't so tempting to them. You should be watchful of your pups and try to monitor them without taking all the fun out of it for them and yourself.

You are the voice of experience and commonsense!