Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Opinions on This Comment in Another Thread

"Puppies kept in the house usually grow up with less, bone, coat, and substance."

Thought I would entertain thoughts. So, if you believe this puppies should only be kept outside or in kennels? Mine are socialized in the house from a young age and enjoy outdoor play time.

Re: Opinions on This Comment in Another Thread

Mine live indoors, and I have been happy with their bone and coat. I think a lot of it is genetics.

Dogs kenneled outside during the winter definitely have much different coats. Most people mistake thick coats for substance, fat, and/or bone so maybe this is what the poster was observing. Also, in theory, bones that have been stressed by exercise will be denser but I don't know if that can be seen with the eyes.

My dogs are kenneled during the day when we are at work, and are part of the family when we are home. I think they get the best of both worlds...lots of exercise and being like dogs all day, and being with people every evening and night. Weekends are a different mixture depending on the weekend.

Unless pups are born in the fall, they are on the adults schedule. But never are any dogs kenneled alone. Especially with pups, but for all dogs, proper facilities and the opportunity to snuggle are essential for winters outside if you are in a cold part of the country.

House Bound
"Puppies kept in the house usually grow up with less, bone, coat, and substance."

Thought I would entertain thoughts. So, if you believe this puppies should only be kept outside or in kennels? Mine are socialized in the house from a young age and enjoy outdoor play time.

Completely ridiculous statement.

Again, this person may be seeing pets that were spayed or neutered young and are house pets. Those spayed and neutered young will have different bone and substance that intact dogs.

Yes, nutrition plays a role. I once donated a puppy to a service dog organization and the puppy raiser was feeding him 2-1/4 cups a day (including treats). He grew up to be much smaller and finer than his littermates who were fed 4-5 cups a day. When I told my vet how litter he was being fed, my vet had a fit and said that wasn't enough nutritionally for a dog to develop correctly. We did get the pup moved to a different puppyraiser.

Breeder longtime
Completely ridiculous statement.

I agree. My dogs are in the house and I also (gasp) keep them lean as puppies and young dogs, and nobody has accused them of not having bone. LOL!

so dogs that live in colder climates in kennels should always be in dripping coat and dogs that live in the south/southwest in air conditioning should not? Sorry, I don't see the logic, you either have coat genetically and of course with some climate input, hormones and type of diet or you don't