Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Optigen Cataract Study - Please Support

I was surfing the internet regarding cataracts and stumbled across a research study Optigen is conducting on cataracts. I knew nothing about the study and missed the info posted here before. In case someone else missed the info Laura D posted earlier in the month, I am going to share again.

Modeled on the Optigen PRA research program, these projects are aimed at identifying the genes and mutations responsible for specific cataracts found in certain breeds. There are many types of cataracts but Optigen is studying only 2 types at this time:

Bilateral, Posterior Subcapsular type
Bilateral Posterior Cortical type (labradors are not listed on the site for this type however samples are being accepted from labradors)

I strongly suggest that if you bred/own a dog that was diagnosed with bilateral cataracts, please send a quick email to see if this dog's blood sample can help the cause: genetest@optigen.com

My experience has been very positive in regards to communications with Optigen and I have received responses from Sue Pearce-Kelling within 24 hours. She stated that samples submitted will "able us to make significant progress on the inherited cataract study" and the samples will hopefully "help us find a DNA test for inherited cataracts in the breed".

Also note submitting a blood sample is simple and samples do not need to be sent overnight:
http://www.optigen.com/opt9_shipsubpg3pkg.html