Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Experiences with Canine Papilloma Virus?

I have an eight month old bitch that appears to have CPV. I noticed a small warty like growth a few days ago on her flews. I did not think too much of it, as it looked like I could almost just pull it off. Tonight I looked at her mouth closer and noticed 3-4 other growths on her gums. By looking on the Internet, they appear to be CPV. Of course I will make an appt. with my vet, (my regular vet may not be the best, so I may need to go further).

Does anyone have experience with this? From what I have read, it is likely that they should be left alone and they will eventually go away? Some people crush them? (Ewwww, but I might be able to do that). Some great with various things. I would appreciate any advice!

Re: Experiences with Canine Papilloma Virus?

I had a youngster who got this when she was about 10 months old, in her mouth. The vet indicated that in most cases it happens in dogs with immature immune systems and that it will go away on it's own in a few weeks and most likely won't come back.

So far, this is the case with my girl. She's 18 months now and after the warts went away on their own, there has been no repeat.

Hope that helps!

Re: Experiences with Canine Papilloma Virus?

Just like most virus, CPV rears up when the immune system is weakened - something as a recent vaccine can to it. Normally, it is nothing to worry about.

One of my girls at age 6 months had a wart in her ear that would occassionally weep and the weepage would drain into the ear canal. My vet cauterized the growth in the ear to prevent future ear problems.

So keep an eye on your dog's ears.