Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DeeLee Mucus Trap

Just thought I would put this out there for anyone who hasn't used one of these deelee mucus traps...it's a puppy saver for sure.

I used it on a newborn pup with a lot of ingested fluid, it saved the little fella for sure sucking the fluid out where the bulb syringe couldn't reach.

I sterilize mine after use.

here is the link to find them:

http://www.whelpwise.com/testing/dee-lee-mucus-trap.html

Hope this helps someone out there :)

Re: DeeLee Mucus Trap

Just got mine in the mail. Have a litter due in a few days so I am ready . . . I think.

Terri

I bought them then forgot to use it! my friends swear by the trap!

Just an interesting little aside for you: The mucous trap was invented by an obstetrician, Dr. Joseph DeLee in the 1930's and is what we used on human babies up until fairly recently. It is indeed very effective. Just be careful not to let the container get full or you'll be sucking up a mouth full of gook.

Allison Rogers
Just thought I would put this out there for anyone who hasn't used one of these deelee mucus traps...it's a puppy saver for sure.

I used it on a newborn pup with a lot of ingested fluid, it saved the little fella for sure sucking the fluid out where the bulb syringe couldn't reach.

I sterilize mine after use.

here is the link to find them:

http://www.whelpwise.com/testing/dee-lee-mucus-trap.html

Hope this helps someone out there :)

Thanks Allison! I've heard great things about it and plan on having it available for any upcoming litters in the future. It's not an expensive item that I keep hearing can save newborns with too much fluid in them. It goes further than the nasal syringe so why not have both available?

Abby Crosby of Sky Farm Labradors who owns all boys , Great Gunner, Roger, Copy, Dually kindly has this link on her website. It's the DeeLee Mucus Trap also but cheaper then from Whelpwise. At this site it costs around $3.50. Thanks Abby!

http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/baby-suctioning-delee-mucus-trap-p-934.html

Can someone explain how they are used? I checked it out and plan to order a couple, but is there a demo of one being used on a newborn, or even days old puppy? We've all had the puppies with too much fluid in them and I've had puppies aspirate milk and end up holding them head down and wipe with clean tissues until it all drains out...then I wait to see if the puppy becomes ill with pneumonia. So far none have, but boy is that scary! They really gurgle until that milk drains.

I looked for a you tube video and couldn't find one El. The magic with the Dee Lee is that you can suction the puppy's airway without getting it's mucous in your mouth, because the fluid stays in the little chamber (as long as you keep it upright, with the tubes facing the ceiling). It is designed to go to a wall suction in the hospital, and to produce sputum specimens for hospitalized patients so it can be cultured. What's great about it for a rattle-y puppy, is that you can control the suction power with your mouth.

Get the puppy ready on a surface you can lay him on, or a helper, because you will need both hands. Practice this next part before you need to do it, so looking at the image on the link that Allison provided: Hold the little chamber in your non dominant hand, tubes facing the ceiling, then take the part with the white plastic end, and place it in your mouth. The second tube is then threaded (carefully!) into the puppy's mouth to the back of the throat (you can actually go into the stomach, but I don't start out going that far) then gently suck on the tubing as you slowly pull the catheter out of the back of the throat and mouth. Mucus and fluid is trapped in the little chamber, (provided you held it upright, if you tilt it you will suck it through into your own mouth), repeat until the puppy is not rattle-y anymore. You can rinse out the little chamber if it gets full, and use it for the entire litter, then toss it when she is done, you don't need a new one for each puppy. Once you use it a time or two, it's easy to use.

Dee Lee
I looked for a you tube video and couldn't find one El. The magic with the Dee Lee is that you can suction the puppy's airway without getting it's mucous in your mouth, because the fluid stays in the little chamber (as long as you keep it upright, with the tubes facing the ceiling). It is designed to go to a wall suction in the hospital, and to produce sputum specimens for hospitalized patients so it can be cultured. What's great about it for a rattle-y puppy, is that you can control the suction power with your mouth.

Get the puppy ready on a surface you can lay him on, or a helper, because you will need both hands. Practice this next part before you need to do it, so looking at the image on the link that Allison provided: Hold the little chamber in your non dominant hand, tubes facing the ceiling, then take the part with the white plastic end, and place it in your mouth. The second tube is then threaded (carefully!) into the puppy's mouth to the back of the throat (you can actually go into the stomach, but I don't start out going that far) then gently suck on the tubing as you slowly pull the catheter out of the back of the throat and mouth. Mucus and fluid is trapped in the little chamber, (provided you held it upright, if you tilt it you will suck it through into your own mouth), repeat until the puppy is not rattle-y anymore. You can rinse out the little chamber if it gets full, and use it for the entire litter, then toss it when she is done, you don't need a new one for each puppy. Once you use it a time or two, it's easy to use.
. I am in Els position, ordering but never have used it b4. Thanks for your explanation, I can almost visualize your words.

You are welcome!

Thank you
Dee Lee

. I am in Els position, ordering but never have used it b4. Thanks for your explanation, I can almost visualize your words.

They are re-usable and can be cleaned, I don't toss mine.