Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
implications of cloning

Just getting wind.........

What does this mean for the "purebred" world?

Enough problems with registry as it is...multiple sires, wrong sires, wrong coat color identification, and the list goes on and on

Shouldn't we, as breeders, take an immediate stand on clone dog offspring and petition the parent club? This is "groundbreaking" as said on their website and if we want to prevent future AKC registration of any kind, ILP, etc.....better to jump now.

Seems this was a frozen semen breeding and as it is a clone, should be exact DNA copy of predecessor. This could get passed off as the AKC registered original dog offspring because it is frozen semen.

All other things aside, this can affect us all.

Re: implications of cloning

If anything, a cloned dog would be the most documented DNA that you could get. IMO they should be registered. Why are you worried, I don't think it will ever be a problem considering the cost. Your over reacting.

This is one of the last things people should worry about. If you need a cause, get proactive against all the anti-breeding groups and legislation out there.

^^^ +1!!!

At over $150K/clone, it is not an issue at all. If any, the clone dogs should have the same registration litter number as the cloned dog. Kind of a sibling. As far as i know, they can't be registered.

I don't think anyone who has bred several generations would feel the need to clone, we all see little traits in our present dogs that we recognize came down from their grandparent, great grandparent,etc, a certain expression, the way the tail wags, you all know what I mean, it is as if a part of the original dog is living on, no need to spend $150K! And even clones are not exactly the same as the original dog, they may be identical genetically, but they are still indivuduals and will not be the original dog come back to life, as much as anyone would wish.

check out Bobby Sue, you, Aquila, are well known for your help in the breeding of silver labs, maybe somebody should do something. http://www.silvertonelabs.com/Dams%20page.htm

lots and lots of aquila dogs used as sires of silvers, some daddys and some granddaddys, lots of them just on this site. glass house?

Really guys. If you had 150,000 dollars to clone a pet do you really give a crap what a bunch of arrogant show breeders think of them or their dog? Seriously? or wether AKC will register it. For absolute stupidity.

glass house
check out Bobby Sue, you, Aquila, are well known for your help in the breeding of silver labs, maybe somebody should do something. http://www.silvertonelabs.com/Dams%20page.htm

lots and lots of aquila dogs used as sires of silvers, some daddys and some granddaddys, lots of them just on this site. glass house?

Sorry we are not discussing the topic, but yes, I sold a chocolate dog in 2001 and he wound up in silver pedigrees. If I had been able to forsee it, I may have had a choice, but who knew of such things then. But, if you stud a dog out or sell anything on full registration there is a risk things will not be in your control.. Heck, anyone can take a limited dog and get breeding rights outside AKC or a dog could wind up doing Labradoodles.....lessons learned.

This is why I was hoping for discussion on cloned dogs having registered offspring as part of the breeding pool for future generations. Would we all like to go back and straighten out the unallowed colors being registered, yes, most likely, but it had to be addressed at inception, not generations later.

The Doberman Club was able to get AKC to designate a special note on registrations containing the white gene, squashing the breeding of white Dobermans. Also, the gene is traced.

All I wonder is if there should be a designation for a clone and if we should rally the parent club, NOW.