Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Elderly man and his dog

My dad has an eight year old Lab/Collie mix. My mom was the dog's main caregiver but Mom passed away in February. My Dad is 88 years old and when he puts the dog out in the fenced backyard, he leaves her out there for hours. He says she wants to be out there, but I think he doesn't hear her bark to come in. He leaves the drapes drawn in the house and therefore, he didn't know we were having a horrible thunderstorm the other day and left the dog out in the storm. I've offered to take the dog even though I think he needs her for security and company, but I'm becoming increasingly worried about him leaving her outside for so long without checking on her. They live in a nice area but it's in the city. Does anyone know if there is any kind of gadget that we could teach the dog to use for when she wants to come in that my Dad could hear? One of my sisters suggested Dad set a timer for a half hour or so then go bring the dog back in but he hasn't done that. He does give her a bowl of water, and there's lots of shade but she doesn't have any real shelter. Somone else suggested getting her a dog house so she'd at least have shelter if she gets caught outside in the rain again and though that would be helpful, it doesn't really solve the problem that this house dog is being left outside for long hours at a time. Because there is a storm door and then the main house door, a doggie door isn't really an option. I'm going to talk to Dad later today but it hasn't done any good in the past. I'm worried about both of them but don't know what to do. TIA for any suggestions.

Re: Elderly man and his dog

I have a doggie doorbell and it works great!

http://www.comforthouse.com/doorbells.html?cmp=pla&kw=doorbells&gclid=CN2-n66BwrECFUMCQAodwkAANg

I use it inside first to teach the dog and then put it outside. My senior gets cold before the others in the winter and wants to come in sooner. I've had a few of them over the years. I put a sandwich baggie over the outside unit in the winter. Battery operated, it can go ding-dong or woof, woof, woof....

Google to get the best price. The paw pad unit can be ordered separately (what usually needs replacing).

It's a sad situation isn't it.

You could buy a remote doorbell, set it up, and teach the dog to use it.

I would also get a kennel or rig up some kind of shelter for the dog just in case your dad still forgets to let her in. You might need to teach the dog to accept it too. My spoiled labs refused to use their outside kennels ever.

All the best to you in this difficult situation.

Thank you so much for both of your suggestions. The dog is a smart girl so hopefully she can learn to use a doggie doorbell. The first four years of her life were spent with a neighbor who left her outside all the time and he must have gotten after her for barking because when she does bark to come in, it's not loud enough for my Dad to hear. I'm definitely going to research the doggie doorbell.

Thank goodness I don't have this issue with my Lab. He lets me know in no uncertain terms when he's ready to come in!

I would consider buying an "Igloo" type dog house. At least she would have shelter if she wanted it. They're resonably priced and come in very large sizes. It's really better than nothing.

We'll definitely check into an Igloo. It could sit right on the deck by the door. Hopefully, a doggie doorbell will work, but just in case, she'd have a way to get out of the weather. I think this may resolve itself in the winter because he she won't go out as often when it's cold.

Thanks!

I know you said a dog door wasn't an option b/c of the storm door and regular door but we have a dog door that is cut right into the side of our house. It lets the dogs into my mud room and then they come into the family room from there. I had a carpenter install it and I know it didn't cost very much.

Thank you! I'll talk to him about this idea.

I really like all the above ideas. Is it possible to hire a dog walker to come a couple times a day to help out? It could give more of a schedule for your dad, and the dog, too. There might even be volunteers through a church, school, scouts?

Another great suggestion! Thanks!