Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pano - best treatments

A 7 month old pup of mine has Pano (diagnosed by my own vet whom I trust. Vet has him on Rimadyl and crate rest altered with mild exercise which sounds right to me. She also has him on Vitamin C, Glucosamin,Chondroitin, and MSM. Pup has had this for about 1 month. In my previous experience (2 times) Pano resolved in 10 days with this treatment. Pup also is wobbling his back foot with it, so vet gave physical therapy instructions to the family. Mostly square sits and sqare downs to strengthen tendon. Family is great - mom is an RN and following instructions closely.

Do you or your vets recommend anything else? Any surefire solututions?

Re: Pano - best treatments

I've had wonderful success with a combination of 2400mg bromelain, 500mg borage oil and fish oil at a dose of 1000mg per 10lbs of body weight. This eliminated any need for medications like Rimadyl and the symptoms of panosteitis were gone within about a week.

I thought folks also recommend making sure the dog is on a lower protein/fat food...like moving the dog to adult food if it is still on puppy food.

Not sure why PT would be helpful for pano. It's the bone that hurts them.
Rest is the key.

I had it a couple of times over the years. We treat with anti inflammatory (buffered aspirin is okay) and cut back some on the calories (not changing the food)

We were advised to let play at will - no crate rest as it does not help to maintain the muscle

Breeder
Not sure why PT would be helpful for pano. It's the bone that hurts them.
Rest is the key.

One foot is "floppy" due to pup not using it at all d/t pano. The lack of use has led to a secondary tendon issue, so the PT is for the tendon issue.