Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Humping Boy

I have a 7 month old boy who I do hope/plan to breed one day. We have 2 adult females who are not spayed. All stay in our house when we are home, but are separated when in heat. They stay separately outdoors during the day, regardless of heat cycles. Recently after one female was in heat and all dogs were allowed back together indoors, he started humpimg both females almost every time they stand still. For some reason they do not make him stop. They don't growl or try to get away or anything. We don't want to fuss at the boy for humping now so we don't have problems with him breeding later. But this constant humping is getting old and is not fun when we have company. Is there a way to get him to stop without causing future problems with breeding? So far we tell the girls to lay down or sit when he humps, but they often don't because he has a grip on them. And that really doesn't address the problem.

Re: Humping Boy

My question is why you would allow the 7 month intact male loose in the house with a bitch in season. This is asking for an unplanned litter.

Breeder II
My question is why you would allow the 7 month intact male loose in the house with a bitch in season. This is asking for an unplanned litter.

As I said, they are separated in the house when in heat. Once no longer in heat, the male and females are allowed back in the same room in the house. It was at this time he began humpimg both females. No one in heat.

Ahh, I see, your bitch is out of heat now, I get it. I misunderstood you.

So maybe both your girls need a good bath so they don't smell like they are girls in season anymore. Maybe a gentle correction to your boy would discourage him from humping the girls, but not ruin his lidido for breding later. best of luck to you!

Teaching your young boy manners will not affect his desire to breed when actually given the chance one bit. I correct the same way I would if there wasn't a stud career in their future... If a verbal ahht or off doesn't work, physically removing them for a down stay or crate time out works just fine. I yell at my boys all of the time and they can all do the deed when called upon just fine ;)

I agree with making sure that all the bitches have had a good bath.