Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Back feet turning out

I just accepted a 17 week old Bernese Mtn pup in for obedience training. Her back feet turn straight outward. What causes this and is there anything I can do exercise wise to help it while I have her with us?

I did not notice it in the twilight when family dropped her off last night, just e-mailed them and asked if their vet made any comments.

Parents did have all health clearances - OFA, etc. So seems she came from responsible breeder.

Re: Back feet turning out

I don't know why the back and not the front, but maybe look into this ? http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/puppy_feed_program_for_knuckling_over.htm

Sounds like maybe the pup is not getting the right food or exercise. Was it kept in a crate a a great deal of the time?

If their vet has not seen the puppy since this occurred, I would require them to take it to the vet or even get a second opinion. You never know, down the road they may claim you caused the problem, if it was not already documented.

She is 4 months old and teething, presumably. She is probably hocky and was not a show prospect, I take it. She is in an awkward stage. Gentle exercises to strengthen her rear will help, but don't over do it of course--she is a large breed and may yet have pano someday. Also, is she turning the feet out in preparation for reaching or jumping for a training treat?

What is she being fed? Enough calcium, magnesium and protein, but not too much?

Are there photos of her at about 2 months of age to see if she had it then?

I wouldn't panic. Note that the legs and feet may change during the day, before and after feeding. Some chicken cartilage couldn't hurt, probably, and some Glycoflex.

Let us know how she does.

Thanks bunches, Laurel and Moderate Labs! It's most prominent when reaching for something. She received very little exercise per family. My own fur kiddos are friendly to her and she to them through the fence (play yard). Once she and they are fully acclimated to each other and new environment, she'll get more exercise with them in the play yard(with close supervision initially, of course.)

She's being fed Nutro Max Chicken & Rice for Large Breeds. It has 24% protein, 13% fat, .7 % Calcium and .6 phosphorus. I am wondering if in addition to lack of exercise if the calcium and phosphorus is too low. I feed Proplan C&R for ALS to my pups and it has 1% calcium and 8% phosphorus. Also the PP's protein is 26% and fat 16%. So I am wondering about nutrition and how to direct the family. (Of course we all like our own food, but don't want to change unless really necessary. I sent photos of what I'm seeing and let family (2 hours away) know my concern, they are relying on me for next step.

So we'll slowly up the exercise. Wondering if I should add some Vitamin C to her diet? Also wondering about Sure Grow for just 3 weeks which adds a balanced calcium and phosphorus to the diet? Maybe I should recommend a switch to PP C&R for ALS? Pup is lovely other than feet. Nice coat, bone, tight feet but poor tone in back end in addition to outy feet; and almost as sweet as a Labrador :)

I regrettfully sold a male to a woman who kept him crated for 23 hours A day and then had the nerve to complain he was cow hocked and "probably going to have severe hip dysplasia".
I offered many times to buy him back but she was eager to start using his semen so she refused.
I thought she was going to show the dog, but later learned I had been taken
Anyway once she put him in the kennel to live outside 24 hours a day, miraculously his legs straightened out. He is almost 3 now and though she only did the ofas to try to discredit my breeding program and get me to refund her, he passed good/normal and unfortunately is now being used as a semen dispenser.