Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MAVIC AI Cath

I don’t know how many others have tried the MAVIC AI Catheter, but I just used it for the first time, and all I can say is *neato bezito*. I found it extremely easy to use, and it just makes so much sense as opposed to the regular catheters that we use. There not cheap, at $30 a pop, but, I think that they are well worth the money spent. Mini Tube sells them ... here’s a link if you’re interested. http://www.minitube.de/DE_eng/Products-Services/Canine/Insemination/MAVIC-Canine-AI-Catheter-CH-18-250-mm

-Jill

Re: MAVIC AI Cath

Yes, very slick. One of my vet clinics uses them and they can be sterilized for reuse there (gas autoclave maybe??? don't quote me).

Have used it for the past 4 breedings! Love it! My vet said if I want to use it over on my own bitches I can as long as you wash it out with distilled water and dry it out

I've used them for a couple of years and love them. My girls are much more relaxed and enjoy lying down and getting rubbed while I watch the clock.

Great info. Considering my local vet has DOUBLED in prices for AI's and does it the old fashioned way still (meaning I'm the one w/ the bitch on my legs and getting dripped on!), I may buy one myself. The other vet who I've used who uses them is 45 min/miles away and MUCH more reasonably priced, go figure....

the catheter looks too complicated to me. What is the difference compared to using a standard pipette ? Either way you have to stick either up into your bitch for an AI. Years ago I tried out a new catheter type pipette. The semen was shipped to me. The first AI was a bust as most of it was lost when it came out of places it was not suppose to. Hard to explain this pipette with the catheter where you attach the syringe to a port. I was so ticked off losing the first of 2 breedings. The 2nd shipment, I used my good ol stand by, hard pipett with syringe attached. 10 puppies later !!!!

Confused, the Mavic has a little "balloon" that gets filled and simulates the tie so the girl stands there as if she's in a tie, tail to the side--- no hoisting her up onto your lap, feathering, etc, needed w/ this device. Very very slick.