Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lyme Disease???

Waiting on test results, and would like to know any information on Lyme disease or other diseases (autoimmune, arthritis, etc.) that would mimic the symptoms of Lyme disease? This is a 4 year old bitch never had a litter, it started as a slight limp on the hind leg that we thought was a play related sprain, took her to the vet and nothing was torn or injured. It has progressively gotten worse and now affects all limbs and she stumbles and falls down and is uncoordinated but she doesn't cry or behave as though she is in pain. She is OFA Hips: Good OFA Elbows: Normal/Clear so we know it doesn't have to do with her joints as she was X-rayed at 2 years and then again when she was taken in to make sure she didn't tear a ligament in the original limping leg. Any information would be appreciated while we wait for results. TIA!!

Re: Lyme Disease???

Well if she tests negative for Lyme and, or another bacterium then perhaps it's an immune mediated myelopathy, or neuropathy? There are many muscular diseases that cause weakness. It seems so rapid to me that I lean toward Lyme disease. I have a client whose Setter presented with almost the same symptoms and finally she could barely get herself up one morning. She tested positive for Lyme disease.

It sure sounds like Lyme disease. I would not wait for test results. Get her on doxycycline right away. If it turns out not to be Lyme, it can't hurt her. If it is Lyme, a quick response can prevent damage to kidneys and other organs.

Had a dog with similar symptoms a few years ago. Vet thought lyme & started treatment immediately while waiting for results. She had Ehrlichiosis which has similar symptoms to lyme and was from a tick. She could hardly walk. Same treatment as lyme.

My vet has said that if I find a tick on any of the dogs he will give them doxycycline immediately

Any chance she had a rabies shot recently? A tainted vaccination or a bad reaction to the shot would cause neurologic symptoms and may take more than a month or so to leave her body.

Hope she's better soon!

I would put her on Doxy right away and for a good 30 days. I will not hurt anything. If it is Lyme it will make her better so fast. Good luck. Think test can give a false reading too. Better to treat.