Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Books

I am looking for a good read. Dog related. Hoping dog show related. Does not have to be Lab related. Just want a good book to make me laugh and cry. A good story.
Any one read anything good lately?

Re: Books

http://www.drnicktrout.com/

I read "Ever By My Side" and LOVED it! Not show related - veterinarian related. Purchased "Love is the Best Medicine" and can't wait to get to it. The other book seems to be out of print for now?

I really enjoyed "Show Dog" by Josh Dean. It's about an Aussie, the author is not a dog show person, but follows the dog show life of a well known and successful Aussie for a year or so, as he learns about the show scene. I also Loved "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein, have the tissues handy!

Shelley
I also Loved "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein, have the tissues handy!

I loved that book too!!!

A Dog's Purpose, and have your Kleenex handy.

Pocket Full of Names by Joe Coomer - Not dog related, but has a dog in it.

A Dog's Journey and Emory's Gift by Bruce Cameron, same author as A Dog's Pupose ( a Dog's Journey is the continuation, haven't read it, but hear it is good).

We just sold a puppy to Doug Koktavy... He wrote The Legacy of Beezer and Boomer... Story about his two black lab litter brothers that passed of Renal Failure... Very informative and laughs and cries for sure! I would recommend that book to ALL lab breeders/owners/enthusiasts that want a great read :)

Rachael L
We just sold a puppy to Doug Koktavy... He wrote The Legacy of Beezer and Boomer... Story about his two black lab litter brothers that passed of Renal Failure... Very informative and laughs and cries for sure! I would recommend that book to ALL lab breeders/owners/enthusiasts that want a great read :)

A great book, but very emotional. I cried buckets.....

Lost and Found -- Jacqueline Sheehan. Light reading, Lab-related, not dog show related, though.

Strays: A Woman, A Dog, and the Timeless Wisdom of Nature -- Jeanne Webster. My current favorite book.

Both available for kindle! Enjoy!

ooh -- almost forgot another good one: 7 Dogs in Heaven by Leland Dirks.

My all time favorites are James Herriot's books and DOG STORIES. I've also rented the DVD's from Netflix. Great stories; sad, funny, and all so true.

Oh I know :( I was very impressed by the love and caring that Doug had for his dogs. Made my heart heavy each chapter I read but there were really funny parts that helped through that :)

I really enjoy The Melanie Travis Mystery Series by Laurien Berenson set in the dog show world.
http://www.laurienberenson.com/books/

This was a wonderful book. The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein Just read Unsaid by Neil Abramson was different.

A good anthology would be "Dog is My Co-Pilot". Lots of enjoyable stories. Also look for the Jon Katz books - really good reads.

Jon Katz also has a blog I enjoy www.bedlamfarm.com

I agree with you Laura. That was a fun series of books:)

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

And how about Susan Conant's dog lover's mysteries.

Ted Kerasote's "Merle's Door"