Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
One year old needs to pee every two hours

I have a one-year-old spayed female who needs to pee every two hours when she is awake. She doesn't normally guzzle a lot of water, but when we take her swimming and she drinks a lot of water, she will pee every 30 minutes!

She is still not toilet-trained although she can keep her crate clean overnight and will eliminate on command.

I think there might be something neurological going on with this one, but I wonder if anyone has run into the need to pee so frequently?

Re: One year old needs to pee every two hours

Has a vet checked her out??

CM
Has a vet checked her out??

We went recently, for other issues and the vet gave her a thorough examination. I can't believe that I completely forgot to ask. We will return on Monday for a hip x-ray, so I will ask the vet if she has any ideas about it then.

Good luck & hopefully this gets sorted out quickly for you & her!

Sounds like it could be a UTI. Bring a urine specimen.

Breeder
Sounds like it could be a UTI. Bring a urine specimen.

Geesh! I really hope not after all this time. I've been waiting for her bladder to grow bigger! I haven't noticed any other signs of a UTI. Will take first catch of the day along to the vets.

Thanks.

My female goes every 10-20 minutes when out for a walk, but I think that's just because she wants to mark.

I have had a lab puppy that could make it crated overnight but otherwise had to go out more frequently than I thought he should have needed. He turned out to have genetic JRD. Until he also quite eating that was his only definite symptom. http://www.vetprof.com/clientinfo/juvenilerenal.html and www.dogenes.com

I think diabetes insipidus could also cause frequent urination.

Probably not something serious like those two things anyway, but it might be helpful to have the vet run a blood chemistry panel to check kidney function.

Maybe she is just not terribly smart? Does she otherwise seem like a bright dog?

My family had a German Shorthair cross that would never housebreak, and she was also kinda ditzy all around.

Re:could be "Abdominal Bladder"

If her urine comes back clean, than I would have an U/S done on her bladder/kidneys.

We adopted a dog of another breed that did have a uti when we got her at 5 years, but after it cleared she still was only able to hold it for about 4 hours tops. It wasn't hormonal, she wasn't leaking, but after the vet also pulled a urine from her bladder which was also normal, the U/S showed she had a bladder defect called "Abdominal Bladder", her bladder is seated lower in the abdomen and her urethra is shortened, so not only would she be more prone to uti's but many of these dogs are just incontinent. We've kept her on Cranberry caps and she's never had a recurrence.

??

I have had a lab puppy that could make it crated overnight but otherwise had to go out more frequently than I thought he should have needed. He turned out to have genetic JRD. Until he also quite eating that was his only definite symptom. http://www.vetprof.com/clientinfo/juvenilerenal.html and www.dogenes.com

I think diabetes insipidus could also cause frequent urination.

Probably not something serious like those two things anyway, but it might be helpful to have the vet run a blood chemistry panel to check kidney function.

Maybe she is just not terribly smart? Does she otherwise seem like a bright dog?

My family had a German Shorthair cross that would never housebreak, and she was also kinda ditzy all around.

Many thanks for the ideas and links. I do hope it's not JRD, but definitely something to consider.

She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but not untrainable. She will pee on command, but cannot seem to understand that she shouldn't pee in the house!

Re: Re:could be "Abdominal Bladder"

Tiffany
If her urine comes back clean, than I would have an U/S done on her bladder/kidneys.

We adopted a dog of another breed that did have a uti when we got her at 5 years, but after it cleared she still was only able to hold it for about 4 hours tops. It wasn't hormonal, she wasn't leaking, but after the vet also pulled a urine from her bladder which was also normal, the U/S showed she had a bladder defect called "Abdominal Bladder", her bladder is seated lower in the abdomen and her urethra is shortened, so not only would she be more prone to uti's but many of these dogs are just incontinent. We've kept her on Cranberry caps and she's never had a recurrence.

Many thanks for this information. Most interesting!