Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sick puppy

What do you give a very sick puppy with colic. Puppy is 10 days old. Puppy is at the Vet. as I write this. Thank you.

Re: Sick puppy

If you're looking to relieve gas, my vet has had me pick up gas relief drops made for infants with colic ...check with your pharmacist.

Good luck!

What exactly is your baby puppy doing that prompted you to take it to your vet ?
The reason I ask is we had a bizarre experience with one of our black 1 week old puppies back in 2009. He was clearly uncomfortable, crying on and off and then he started pooping this weird white foamy stuff. We took him to the ER. The vet took radiographs of his stomach/intestines and said he didn't see anything too alarming but that his intestines looked agitated. they gave him Sub Q fluids and sent me home with some Sub Q material which I gave him over the course of 3 days.
This puppy refused to nurse on his mom so we had been bottle feeding him. I don't know what happened to him but all of a sudden he started to nurse and grow like a weed.
When this litter of 8 pups were 6 weeks old, I went downstairs to greet our puppies. All the puppies came running over to me except the little black fella who was sick for a week. I jumped over the xpen and found him curled up as if he were taking a nap but he was stone cold and dead. I took him to my vets for a nepcropsy. Turned out that our little black fella had died a painful death where his intestine had twisted, cutting off circulation. The vet said there this is a very rare problem in Labrador puppies but seen more in German Shepherd pups.
I had to make a sad phone call to the family who had already adopted him, named him, just waiting patiently to take him home in 2 short weeks.
My regular vet told me that the puppie's intestinal issues that cropped up when he was a week old was a sign of what was to come. He was a special one in that litter, so happy to be alive, loved his siblings and always congenial with his litter mates.
I hope your little 10 day old puppy pulls out of it's tummy problem

Not nursing, lethargic, not pooping, bringing hind legs up to belly, very distended belly.

Sounds like an intussusception....combined with possibly a shunt of some type. So sorry for your puppy.

In lay mans words. What does that mean?
Thank you-

I had a puppy like that a few years ago. His little belly was hard and he was having extremem gas pains. I rushed him to the vet but he died before they could do anything, The vet said a portion of his intestine had gotten twisted and the blood was cut off. He said the twist could have been from a blood clot and was just a fluke. He was 10 days old and had been fine until then :(

An intussusception is where the intestine telescopes into itself,like one tube pushing into the other. It is a relatively easy surgery , they just tack it onto place. If you don't do it they die. I had one in a litter many years ago,they were about 4-5 weeks old if I remember, we had tried using a potty box with corncob litter, it was clean and worked well, but one of the puppies ate it instead and got an intussusception, which my vet repaired and the puppy was fine and never had any other trouble. The symptoms were similar, trying to strain to have a bowel movement, he seemed constipated but also tender in the stomach area.

It was expensive in that day, it was quite a bit more than the puppy but to be able to tell the family that their bright little boy was going to be able to go home with them was priceless.

Puppy is eating, good appetite. Gaining but not as much as the others. Mama can't stimulate her enough to poop. I do it and it takes a lot. I don't think she could poop on her own. Also, the color of the poop is yellow, not diarrhea. She is getting fluids every 24 hrs. The Vet doesn't know what is going on. If she eats and doesn't poop her stomach becomes distended and she won't eat. It's just guessing at this point. I am giving her something for gas. Any thoughts. Thank you

It doesn't sound like intersucception (sp) to me. It sounds like something is not allowing her bowels to flow freely and maybe there is too much gas or an obstruction. I have had the aove mentioned issue and they cannot keep food down as there is no absorbtion. If she is eating and keeping it down, I would go to another Vet.