Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weight gain in pregnant bitch

I was wondering. What would be the ideal weight gain of a pregnant bitch who was expecting 8-9 puppies? At how many weeks do you start feeding puppy food or do you keep on regular diet?

Re: Weight gain in pregnant bitch

Each bitch will gain differently. Slowly start to increase at 4-5 weeks into gestation. When pups are born they are usually eating 1cup per puppy so 8 pups = 8 cups per day.

I heard a general rule of thumb, is that near their due date, labs gain an average of 2 lbs per puppy. Given this average, I would expect a weight gain of 16-18 lbs for 8-9 puppies, unless the bitch was overweight to begin with.

Donna
I was wondering. What would be the ideal weight gain of a pregnant bitch who was expecting 8-9 puppies? At how many weeks do you start feeding puppy food or do you keep on regular diet?
Have you ever had a litter before? It sounds like you could use a mentor. Before I whelped my 1st litter I had my nose in recommended books for years & spent time speaking to seasoned breeders with questions way before my bitch was pregnant.

I don't agree with some of the answers you received. Maybe you need a repro vet and mentor as soon as possible. Hoping for an easy whelping for your girl.