Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Capstar for nursing bitch

This a.m. I found a flea on my bitch who has three week old pups. My other dogs are on Program so I haven't given a thought to fleas but I don't give it to a bitch during pregnancy. Haven't gone to any shows in months but this girl loves to go outside and roll so apparently one found her out there. I read the Capstar insert and it says "safe" for pregnant and nursing bitches but wondering if anyone has used it and had any problems. I'm a little nervous about giving her any medications while nursing. Otherwise I will just give her a bath with regular shampoo and hope that any others are killed that way.
Thanks for any input

Re: Capstar for nursing bitch

Ugh. This takes me back to the bad old days before Frontline and Advantage. Program only prevents flea maturation during reproduction. Capstar works for what is on the dog at the time, basically, which is why you may have to give it daily or twice weekly during a bad infestation. (One flea is not a bad infestation.) First I think I would use something longer lasting on the other dogs, something that kills fleas and keeps killing them. I'd give the Frontline or Advantix or spray some time to work that day. Or you may choose to repeat the Capstar on the other dogs at least weekly if you find more fleas or flea dirt with a flea comb that you use daily. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum daily, throwing out the bag or container's contents in a sealed plastic bag--seal with duct or package tape. Flea comb the nursing bitch and puppies meanwhile, dipping the comb and drowning the fleas in soapy water, then rinsing the comb in clear water before the next stroke. Then I would bathe the nursing bitch, letting the shampoo sit on her for 10 minutes before lots of rinsing, and I would gently bathe the puppies, rinsing really well. If you are worried about chilling them, use plenty of towels and a hairdryer on low and/or the heat lamp, as they are in a borderline age for the heat lamp. Think how much socialization you are giving the puppies to being handled! They and the dam will look and smell amazing when you are done.

Re: Capstar for nursing bitch

Just did a thorough comb through and no other fleas or signs of flea manure. Phew. If I find any more I'll bathe her. I am vacuuming like crazy first because of shedding dogs, second due to lots of company so hopefully would suck up any that fell off any of the dogs. I'll check the other dogs, too. I just don't want an infestation which is why I thought about the capstar. Had an infestation years ago when we had an inside/outside cat who brought in fleas and it was NOT fun to get rid of.