Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
week old pups vomiting??

Need thoughts! The owner of a litter sired by my boy called. He took the pup into the Vet at 1 AM puppy vomited and has diarrhea. The other pups seem ok at the time of the call. Now a couple have slowed down on eating. I have never had pups that young vomit?? Have had diarrhea when gave mom something new, but they never vomited. Have had fading pups they just screamed and stopped eating. Had a pup with a cleft palate years ago that had milk come out of nose and stop eating?? Any thoughts. The hospital didn't give much of a reason? They didn't think the pup would live, but owner just got a call and he is doing better. Know someone that had herpes they got diarrhea but didn't vomit? Mom has plenty of milk. Owner says breasts not hard, hot, or Red? She had a csection but is eating drinking and seems fine???Thanks in advance. Tried to do search on vomiting pups no results.

Re: week old pups vomiting??

I have had pups vomit from eating too much. What also comes to mind is that the puppies picked up a virus from another dog in the house?

Is the bitch really full of milk and pups overdoing it?

Is the bitches milk toxic?

I would lay odds it is herpes. Have vet precribe acyclovir... If they lose a puppy make sure they necropsy him so they know for sure!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Well got the report from the Emergency clinic at the hospital today. Not much of an idea what was wrong. They did glucose test normal. Gave plasma and fluids. Tube fed him and gave antibiotics. He was much better yesterday evening. I think the owner was feeding them to much. He was letting them nurse every 2 hours. Also had the house at 80 degrees. I think the pups got over heated and ate too much. Owner called and all seem much better now. That is a relief!! Thanks for the input.

Breeder/Tech
Well got the report from the Emergency clinic at the hospital today. Not much of an idea what was wrong. They did glucose test normal. Gave plasma and fluids. Tube fed him and gave antibiotics. He was much better yesterday evening. I think the owner was feeding them to much. He was letting them nurse every 2 hours. Also had the house at 80 degrees. I think the pups got over heated and ate too much. Owner called and all seem much better now. That is a relief!! Thanks for the input.
Suggestion: Tent the whelping area, not the entire house to 90 degrees. It doesn't kill CHD but
halts the growth along with acyclovir. If they can contact Dr. Ron Bell, do so. He's Sally Bell's vet husband. I hope I never need to take this advice. Please keep the board updated, hoping its a little virus and theyre all well in 24h.

EDIT. ONLY IF THEY THINK ITS CHD! I meant to add that. I'm sorry.

agree that pups should be able to eat at that age as often as they like

To 90 Tent...are you meaning CHV? Canine herpes virus? From the described symptoms, it sounds as though it could very well be CHV.
Good luck.

?
To 90 Tent...are you meaning CHV? Canine herpies virus? From the described symptoms, it sounds as though it could very well be CHV.
Good luck.
Yes, CHV. That was a typo on my iPad. I wonder how the pups are doing. I am hoping it was a different little virus. If CHV is suspect then a 90 degree tent & acyclovir are choice. I've never had it and pray I never do.

From the owner of the litter all seem back to normal, eating and seems diarrhea clearing up. I kind of think that he let them get too warm and over fed. The report from emergency clinic was vague at best??? Not dehydrated, blood sugar and weight normal?? Gave plasma, wormer and esbilac. Sent home clavamox. Puppy went home and ate and seems better. SIGH! Glad they are better.

Perhaps a bad case of worms in the litter. Glad to hear they are doing better : )

Puppies with herpes tend to scream in misery...didn't see that listed as a symptom. Keeping it simple, a fecal check would be first, second could be gas....

I had a herpes litter. Only a couple screamed just before they died. So not all herpes pups are noisy.