Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for Breeder of K9 Air Scenting Wilderness Search & Rescue Labs

Hi,
I received this from one of my pet homes. Can anyone help me with a referral?
You can email me privately. Thanks, Laura D

"Over the next year or possibly less, I'd like to leave the paid working world and move over to training full time as a K9 search and rescue handler or more specific - K9 air scenting wilderness search and rescue (as opposed to tracking/trailing K9 SAR). I'm just starting my search for a lab breeder and since I trust you so well, I thought I'd start with you and see if you might know someone that breeds sound search and rescue labs. My first preference would be someone who breeds labs as well as works them in search and rescue. My second preference would be someone who breeds labs specifically for search and rescue even through they don't work them in SAR."

Re: Looking for Breeder of K9 Air Scenting Wilderness Search & Rescue Labs

There are a few breeders out there (I'll email privately). I think it's pretty tough to know that a certain litter or combination will produce air scenters vs ground scenters though.

Most, if not all dogs, except for the hounds, are air scenters. Even if they look like they trailing.

Not according to the SAR folks I know and in fact just gave a presentation/demo to our club and said the same... they just work w/ whatever the dog brings to the table w/in their groups here. Some dogs end up being cadaver dogs, others are trailing dogs, etc. Air scenters are faster but there are reasons to have the trackers too.

Thank you to everyone who responded here and privately.
I am forwarding everything on.