Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Opinions on bite?

This bitch just turned one. Time to spay?

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/293257_4379376611178_1435037015_n.jpg

Re: Opinions on bite?

I'd say so

Can you give us a picture with the mouth closed?

Unfortunately no...this is a friend's dog, not mine. She seems to have given up hope and I was just curious to see if anyone on here thought otherwise.

So please tell us what it looks like when the jaws are closed.

Yes time to spay - if you look at the upper third incisor you will find that the enamel is broken from repeatedly hitting the lower canine tooth. You can extrapolate from the picture what the bite would look like on a closed mouth - slightly undershot probably in the 3-5mm range. I would suspect that the undershot has been something that's developed since the adult teeth have all come in - look at the backwards angle of the central lower incisors - most likely from pushing against the uppers as the lower jaw continued to grow.

Not that I think that the bite will fix itself, but how can you be sure that is why the incisor is broken?

Just don't see how anyone can tell for sure what's up with the bite from an open mouth photo.

I have one with a normal bite that broke that tooth when another dog collided with her face.

After spending 20 years as a Registered Vet Tech with a dental specialty you'd be hard pressed to prove to me that the incisor isn't damaged because of contact with the lower canine.

If it had been damaged by injury it would have broken from an external surface of the tooth not remodeled around an object of constant contact.

Thanks guys. That's about what I thought. Yes, I know the picture is uninformative. I didn't take it; if I had, I would have taken a proper closed-mouth shot. I don't live close enough to this person to take a look at the dog myself/get my own picture. Just thought I'd ask on her behalf. Again, thanks.

Question for I'd say

I have a puppy with an overbite. Right now the gap is about 5-6 mm. As the puppy grows does the gap continue to get bigger or will it stay at 5-6 mm?

Breeder
Question for I'd say

I have a puppy with an overbite. Right now the gap is about 5-6 mm. As the puppy grows does the gap continue to get bigger or will it stay at 5-6 mm?

It can get better or worse. You just have to wait it out if you like other things about him.