Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Finding good homes for pups

I currently have two black pups that are almost eleven weeks old and am having a difficult time finding good homes for them. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a website, I placed an ad on a well used Labrador website, and I have tried networking. All I hear from everyone is how tough it is to place pups now. If anyone has any novel ideas I'd love to hear them. These puppies deserve loving homes.

If it matters, I live in the Northeast.

Re: Finding good homes for pups

Usually, I make sure that all my breeder friends and my local club knows that I have puppies available. That seems to solve the problem.

It is August. People are sneaking in one last vacation before Labor Day. Mothers are getting the kids ready for school. In September, the phone will start to ring again. Enjoy the puppies. They will be gone before you know it.

Bab's Labs
I currently have two black pups that are almost eleven weeks old and am having a difficult time finding good homes for them. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a website, I placed an ad on a well used Labrador website, and I have tried networking. All I hear from everyone is how tough it is to place pups now. If anyone has any novel ideas I'd love to hear them. These puppies deserve loving homes.

If it matters, I live in the Northeast.
Of course all pups deserve loving, great homes & you'll find them.

I have a litter due in 2 weeks and more then enough homes on a list for them. I know some will find a different breeder but most are in touch and have visited before or while my girl is pregnant. As I don't know sex & colors yet, I wait until pups are on the ground before I take a deposit. I have referrals from other breeders, repeat buyers, local vet referrals and buyers that got my name from friends. I don't have a website and I do not advertise anywhere.

Could your price be too hi or lo? Are your prices what other reputable breeders are getting near you? Are you doing all of the same final clearances they are? Buyers are learning partizlly because some of us take the time to try to educate them, other buyers are educating themselves doing research on the net.

Maybe making local vet contact as well as other breeders might help but you said you're networking. Remember this is vacation time for buyers with children before school begins. That might be you largest problem. I hope the pups get their new homes soon.

Keep in mind, it is not how you advertise, it's how well you screen buyers. I have seen some lovely well known kennels advertise on Freedoglistings.com. I'm sure they interview/screen well and ask for references from new families but these very well known kennels do frequently use this free advertising service. Just an idea. I have calls almost daily here in the Midwest, so I don't think it's economy related.

Also, do you have a good repoire with your vet office staff? You could let them know you have pups. Mine refer quite a few locals my way because they know I do all the health clearances and show. They also have a place to advertise kennels and pups.

brdr
Keep in mind, it is not how you advertise, it's how well you screen buyers. I have seen some lovely well known kennels advertise on Freedoglistings.com. I'm sure they interview/screen well and ask for references from new families but these very well known kennels do frequently use this free advertising service. Just an idea. I have calls almost daily here in the Midwest, so I don't think it's economy related.

Also, do you have a good repoire with your vet office staff? You could let them know you have pups. Mine refer quite a few locals my way because they know I do all the health clearances and show. They also have a place to advertise kennels and pups.
You said most of what I would. I don't find the economy to be an issue. If buyers want a well bred Labrador they will find a good breeder and litter. Those that call me don't even ask price unless they're looking for that '$400 puppy'. I get off the phone fast when they ask price 1 st then attempt to talk me down from the $1,800 all breeders are charging where I reside. None of us have problems placing to great homes at that price.

I agree, call your vet, especially if he or she did vaccines and has seen the pups. They sometimes know of people that may have recently lost a Senior dog & are ready for a pup.

I hope you find homes soon, perhaps as said, when family holidays are complete.

The pups' parents have all the right clearances (OFA on hips and elbows, Optigen, CERF, EIC, cardio on the dam). The sire, who has had limited showing, is pointed and has two Reserves under breeder judges at well attended shows ; the dam is less competitive in the show ring but very typey with a good pedigree (a Study daughter). As with all of my bitches over the years, she was three when I bred her to make sure she was (a) healthy and (b) mature. I'm proud of the pups in the litter and know there are good homes out there for both of them. Thanks for everyone's support and suggestions!

You'll be surprised at how many people will be interested in a slightly older puppy. Keep advertising/networking, they'll find something. Advertise slightly out of your area. Let families who have bought puppies from you in the past know that you have these 2. Advertise on AKC/ LRC club websites.

In the meantime, continue training, socializing etc. The right families are out there.

Good luck!!