Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
B Match and Majors!!

Just wanted to post a reminder that the Des Moines Kennel Club is going to be majors September 8th and 9th :) Also... The Midwest Labrador Retriever Club of Iowa is holding their first AKC Sanctioned B Match 30 minutes AFTER Best In Show. We will be taking entries up until Best In Show starts. If you have any questions feel free to contact myself or one of the board members on our website.

Thanks to everyone who has supported us :)

Re: B Match and Majors!!

Won't let me edit... The B Match will be on September 8th and entries close next Wednesday August 22nd :)

I am looking very forward to the show and the B match!

Great job Rachael with everything you have done!

Why would it be majors under Sidney Marx? I thought we had learned from last years discussion.

I agree, he has done a very, very poor job in Labs. Withheld ribbon from a multiple Specialty winner...and it was also a dog he pointed previously! They didn't pick judges but many will be there to support their new endeavor. Sundays judge, Linda Robey, does a pretty good job. She will put up what she likes and does not look at the wrong end of the lead.

Unfortunately we did not pick the judges :( I know our club will be working closely with the local Des Moines based All-Breed clubs to help voice judges that are worthy of holding majors under.

Majors in the Iowa division only consists of 9 dogs and 12 bitches. With the members of the club we have majors :)

You will make more of an impact and have a bigger voice if you only enter under Ms Robey and boycott Mr Marx. When we (fanciers) support judges who don't know breed type, we lose power with clubs and decision makers. Show them that you will bring the entry for judges you approve and for the others, they won't get any entries.

I sincerely wish you guys well - I didn't mean to be snarky, just concerned. I hope you have 5-pointers!

I just can't see how you all justify showing and supporting the entry to that man, even the membership of your club, you DO have a choice you know. Maybe your point schedule should be higher too.

Just to clarify... This is NOT a supported entry. We have built majors for anyone that is seeking them... This date is for our B Match ONLY. Supported entry will not be until AFTER we have held a B Match.

No offense, but it shows that you are new to this sport. Building majors under judges that don't know breed type only rewards dogs that lack type with majors. Even if it's not a
Supported Entry, as breeders and stewards of the breed, exhibitors should not reward bad
judges with any entry. Not only will the show committee understand your statement but so will other committees and exhibitors.

Have your match.
Support Ms Robey.
And have a good time with friends and dogs.
Just don't support judges who withhold ribbons from specialty winning
dogs!

Sorry if you misunderstood my use of "supporting the entry to that man". I meant that as paying a fee to enter under him, thus, supporting it; not that your club is supporting the entry of the show. But in the end your club members are supporting him by entering under him. What a shame.

Not everyone is going to like every Judge who is out there. Just as every Judge is not going to like every dog that is out there.

Respect is one thing that is missing in this sport and it is a shame, considering how much our labs respect us.

I show my labs because they enjoy the ring, and we enjoy spending time doing it. Placing is always fun, and points are a bonus. Some of us are on limited time constraints and can't travel all over so we show where there is a show.

As far as the point schedule, AKC sets the point schedule, so it is out of our control. The midwest is a far less populated area than the east and west coast. Feel free to come to our area and join us for a show or four. We'd love to have you and the hospitality and camaraderie can't be beat!

This is about supporting a local all breed club that we may potentially hold a real Supported Entry under. We are fortunate to be located in Des Moines and to have 3 wonderful shows there a year. We hold our All-Member meetings there and it is convenient for now as we are getting started... We have enough members to draw majors at these shows.

I am sorry if you do not like a judge. I cannot help the actions of the past. This post was not about the judge or his actions but about our club holding a B Match on September 8th and a reminder to those that may be interested in joining in the fun :) Our club is just getting started and I thought other members of the Labrador Community would like to stay informed on the progress. I am sorry to have brought out people that find this judge a sore subject but this post is about our club not the judge.

Not a fan...
Why would it be majors under Sidney Marx? I thought we had learned from last years discussion.

No, don't waste your money showing to him.

I think this is a great thing to be able to show the all-breed clubs that the Labrador community will support their entry. This will help in the long run to get their input on selecting judges.

I did look up Mr. Marx on AKC to see what he puts up. He seems consistent and puts up nice dogs.

We must remember that every dog has their day. I do not know why he withheld a ribbon on a specialty winning dog, but we also know that many specialty dogs are way too much dog for an all-breed judge. The dog may have been slightly lame or shown way too fat. There are a million reasons why the dog did not get a ribbon, but from what I've seen on the results page he puts up dogs from current specialty winning lines.

Rachael good luck with your match and don't let the naysayers ruin your day.

Where on the AKC site can you find what a judge puts up for a particular breed? I would be interseted in checking this out.

I snooped around on teh AKC site but couldnot figure it out.

If you go to infodog and use their search panels, you can find what shows a particular judge has judged at. Some of the results can be seen on infodog which includes the catalog.

The shows that are not superintended by Infodog can be looked up on the AKC site by doing to Event search. It's kind of hard to explain, but once you find the judge, click on the judge's name and it will show you all their past and future assignments.

Go to the AKC site and click on Judges Directory on the menu bar on the left side of the screen. In the search box put the judge's name. On the next screen click on past assignments. When they come up, click on the name of the show. Next screen, click on Sporting Group. Next screen click on Labrador Retrievers, and Voila!

Rachael's post was meant simply as a reminder to the Labrador community that the MWLRC of Iowa was holding it's first B Match. The decision to hold the match on this date was made by the club. Don't shoot the messenger.

The intention of her post was not to debate judges. Whether there are majors or how many dogs it takes to make a major currently in that area is irrelevant.

The club unfortunately did not have any input in the judges for this show this time. As with any show, we all choose where we want to spend our dollars and what judges we want to show to.

Lastly, if you have to start a post with "No Offense"...then you probably are well aware that what you are about to say is going to be perceived as offensive and perhaps you should be more tactful in choosing how you want to word your message.

Well said Stacey.

My DNS list is very short, but Sydney Marx has the distinction of having made it on the first try. When he judged here, he put up an obviously limping and not very typey dog for BOB. He had much better to choose from.

He won't get another entry from me. I will support the club by entering the single day under Linda Robey and sending a letter to the show chair advising why.

just say no to marx
My DNS list is very short, but Sydney Marx has the distinction of having made it on the first try. When he judged here, he put up an obviously limping and not very typey dog for BOB. He had much better to choose from.

He won't get another entry from me. I will support the club by entering the single day under Linda Robey and sending a letter to the show chair advising why.
A judge that puts up a lame dog shouldn't be judging. That's politics. Thanks for the heads-up.