Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vaccines - booster before being bred???

My girl came in early, I realized she is actually due for shots now. Can I booster her a week or 2 before she is bred??
I am just not sure if this is okay?

Re: Vaccines - booster before being bred???

I would not she will be fine until you do.

I am concerned because it's been 2 years since her last combo and I know mom gives her immunity to pups through her milk. Will her immunity be less resulting in less for the pups?

Do not give her any vaccines while she is in season. Read some of Jean Dodds articles. Momma and the pups will be fine.

Links to these articles?

I ask when did she have shots last?

If you care to read this link from the authority on vaccinations, Ron Schultze, he says that once a dog has immunity to a disease it is probably good for the life of a dog.

http://tollchester.tripod.com/vaccine.html

Had the same thing happen a number of years ago, my vet recommended waiting, which is what I did, but I did do a titer test on her, she was fine and her pups were all fine, they're 7 years old now and no issues.

BTW, I only vaccinate every 3 years anyway, sometimes a little later.

Good Luck!

She had a parvo combo last in August 2010
She is 4.

I would think you're fine. Call your vet, or Dr Dodd's, if you're nervous do a titer, but if she were mine, I wouldn't be vaccinating her until Aug 2013 at the earliest anyway.

Agree
I would think you're fine. Call your vet, or Dr Dodd's, if you're nervous do a titer, but if she were mine, I wouldn't be vaccinating her until Aug 2013 at the earliest anyway.
I agree. Do read Jean Dodds. She's brilliant!

Breeder
She is 4.
It's every 3 years now. Not 1 or 2.
Some vets agreed to 2 years instead of the advisable 3 yrs. or old fashioned, overdone 1 yr. to keep clients coming in as often as possible. $$$$$$ Wrong! That's over vaccinating. After the 1st adult 1+ yr. vaccine the next is 3 years not 2. Same for rabies but dont do them on tbe same day. If in doubt, titer but don't over vaccinate for the health of your dogs. Confirm anything with the vet you trust.

Some breeders don't vaccinate at all but I don't beleive in that at all, even w/filtering. Those breeders put our dogs at risk at shows. Small risk but risk! Enuf said, do what you need to do as you and your bitch-puppies will live with it.

Same here
Breeder
She is 4.
It's every 3 years now. Not 1 or 2.
Some vets agreed to 2 years instead of the advisable 3 yrs. or old fashioned, overdone 1 yr. to keep clients coming in as often as possible. $$$$$$ Wrong! That's over vaccinating. After the 1st adult 1+ yr. vaccine the next is 3 years not 2. Same for rabies but dont do them on tbe same day. If in doubt, titer but don't over vaccinate for the health of your dogs. Confirm anything with the vet you trust.

Some breeders don't vaccinate at all but I don't beleive in that at all, even w/filtering. Those breeders put our dogs at risk at shows. Small risk but risk! Enuf said, do what you need to do as you and your bitch-puppies will live with it.

Yes, the current protocol is 3 years now. I am not sure if there is really a difference in the shot a vet give where they expect you to get a shot every year or if they just decided 3 years is a better # and it's the same shot. I know when I buy a Pfizer 5 way for my puppies it's the same shot for each of the 3 and it's the same for the 1 year booster. After that, we only do rabies.

And to the person above, I fail to see how my choice in not vaccinating puts YOUR dog at risk. I am not being argumentative. If your dog is fully vaccinated on a 3 year protocol, your dog should be fully safe from any exposure to the illnesses vaccinated for. It doesn't matter if your dog is with mine or a fully vaccinated one. Your dog is safe because it's vaccinated. The risk would be MINE as I am relying on natural immunity to keep my dogs healthy after their 1 year booster.

If my dog and your dog are at a show together and god forbid a dog with parvo was around. Your dog should be more safe by reason of vaccination. Just because I don't vaccinate doesn't mean I have sick dogs or that they carry the disease any more than your vaccinated dog. Vaccinated or not, diseases can be carried and passed.

It would be like you thinking that you stand a greater chance of getting the flu from me because I don't get a flu shot, even though you do.

me.

Yes, the current protocol is 3 years now. I am not sure if there is really a difference in the shot a vet give where they expect you to get a shot every year or if they just decided 3 years is a better # and it's the same shot. I know when I buy a Pfizer 5 way for my puppies it's the same shot for each of the 3 and it's the same for the 1 year booster. After that, we only do rabies.

And to the person above, I fail to see how my choice in not vaccinating puts YOUR dog at risk. I am not being argumentative. If your dog is fully vaccinated on a 3 year protocol, your dog should be fully safe from any exposure to the illnesses vaccinated for. It doesn't matter if your dog is with mine or a fully vaccinated one. Your dog is safe because it's vaccinated. The risk would be MINE as I am relying on natural immunity to keep my dogs healthy after their 1 year booster.

If my dog and your dog are at a show together and god forbid a dog with parvo was around. Your dog should be more safe by reason of vaccination. Just because I don't vaccinate doesn't mean I have sick dogs or that they carry the disease any more than your vaccinated dog. Vaccinated or not, diseases can be carried and passed.

It would be like you thinking that you stand a greater chance of getting the flu from me because I don't get a flu shot, even though you do.

Ever heard of "Community Immunity"? If everyone didn't vaccinate their dogs, disease would spread in epidemic proportions.
Nice description here.
http://www.vaccines.gov/basics/protection/index.html

Same here

How do breeders get by with not vaccinating bitches at all? Do stud dog owners not usually require vaccinations for natural breedings, and do repro vets not require vaccinations before doing AIs? I guess if the breeders do their own AIs or use only there own studs they could get away with it. I am not a breeder as of yet so I don't know what is normally required by stud owners and repro vets as far as vaccinations and am just curious. Wouldn't want to be forced to vaccinate again after an effective vaccine at 4+ months of age just to breed a litter, general practice vets around here are behind the times and still think a dog isn't vaccinated if it doesn't get a shot every year.

Minimal vaccination is one thing, none is quite another.

me.
The risk would be MINE as I am relying on natural immunity to keep my dogs healthy after their 1 year booster.

Don't know what "natural immunity" is. It appears to me you are relying on the continued effectiveness of your puppy and booster vaccinations. Unfortunately, we don't really know how long vaccinations continue to confer immunity.

But you could do titers yearly to find out if the dog still has effective antibodies.

A new in house ElISA test has been developed and tested. If you can draw blood and conduct a few simple procedures, in about 20 minutes you can find out if your dog has immunity to distemper, parvo, and hepatitis. This ELISA test compares favorable to tests by major labs such as Cornell and Antech and research supporting the ELISA test was recently published in a respect vet journal. You can buy 12 tests for about $20 per test.

[/quote]

Don't know what "natural immunity" is. [/quote]

Natural immunity is formed when a dog is subject to small doses of a disease when they frequent places where other dogs have been. It is acquired "naturally" through breathing and contact, not something that is injected un-naturally into the system.

That is a bunch of BS

Lab Lover

Don't know what "natural immunity" is. [/quote]

Natural immunity is formed when a dog is subject to small doses of a disease when they frequent places where other dogs have been. It is acquired "naturally" through breathing and contact, not something that is injected un-naturally into the system.[/quote]