Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pumpkin / 4 wk old pups

Is it safe to give just turned 4 week old pups pumpkin? Can they handle it at that age? Having diarrhea issues and probiotics are not working. If so...how much pumpkin?

Re: Pumpkin / 4 wk old pups

I would run a fecal first and see if there is a problem. Were they wormed yet? Or did you just start them on solid food? Either or both can be the issue.

Time to worm them.

Many folks give Tylan. That's where I would start. Doubt it has anything to do with worm.

me.
Many folks give Tylan. That's where I would start. Doubt it has anything to do with worm.

It's no wonder our dogs immune systems are getting so screwed up. I hope "many folks" don't follow this policy. Probably the same breeder that routinely sends puppies home with Tylan in their food.

Dilute pumpkin in warm water. 1/4 water to 3/4 pumpkin. If that doesn't do it mix pumpkin, plain yogurt, white rice. Just a small amount should do it.

Thanks Linda!

Linda
Dilute pumpkin in warm water. 1/4 water to 3/4 pumpkin. If that doesn't do it mix pumpkin, plain yogurt, white rice. Just a small amount should do it.

Had the same issue at around 4 weeks. I gave them baby rice mixed with a little bit of baby chicken for a couple of days. Sometimes I mixed the baby rice with a little bit of pumpkin. Stools went back to normal. They just needed to give their digestive system a little soothing break.