Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Post c section and small litter

We just had our first c-section and first small litter (see 'overdue'). Is there anything special I should watch for? I suspect section recovery is like spay recovery? What about milk bar, will it automatically decrease production? She looks engorged now with just 2 nursing. Any thought or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Post c section and small litter

I'm so sorry to read about your breeding nightmare. I've been breeding for nearly 30 years and just had my first stuck puppy last year. This was my bitch's third litter. The first two were a breeze, this one well, I could feel the puppies getting stuck. The first and second pup were presented breech and were easy whelps. The third pup however was coming head first. I could feel it in the birth canal. After almost 1 hour and a half of pushing with no results, I reached up inside and again, could only feel the head, no feet, so the pup was malpositioned. I pushed it back inside hoping it would get better positioning. I called my vet. While on the phone, I heard my bitch yelp in the hallway. I went out to discover the bloody mess and a perfect pup. I was hoping this was the stuck pup and things would get moving again. They did not. The fourth pup was also stuck and I could not get her moving. Knowing how extended pushing can tear up the uterus, I packed up my girl and took her the Pet ER. The vet did an ultrasound. One dead puppy, 3 lives ones. She did a c-section. My bitch recovered easily, had plenty of milk for all the pups and healed nicely. I had one more very special litter planned for her to an older stud dog. I was more than prepared to do a c-section for this litter as I did not want to risk losing any of these very special babies. My bitch began labor, pushed, but was not productive. After about 2 hours of pushing and nothing, we went back to the ER. She had a nice litter of live babies. I chose not to spay her as I feel the hormones are important to milk production and behavior. She was great with the second litter delivered by C. I had her spayed 4 months later and when she came home she thought she had puppies waiting for her some where. I think the spay recovery was harder than the c-sections.

I hope others can learn from you experience and I must say you were incredibly lucky not to have lost more pups, tore up your bitch's uterus or lose her.

This is what I've learned over the years: NEVER give oxytocin (pitocin is a synthetic form of oxytocin) until after the first pup is born. NEVER give oxytocin if a c-section can't be performed within an hour or so. Oxytocin causes placental detachment which is a trigger for the pup to start breathing. If the pups do not get out after a certain time period after the placentas detach,they will drown in their sacks. NEVER let a bitch actively push for more than 2 hours without producing a puppy.

Good luck with your new litter.

How many pups did she have? Good luck with your litter.

Sympathizer
I'm so sorry to read about your breeding nightmare. I've been breeding for nearly 30 years and just had my first stuck puppy last year. This was my bitch's third litter. The first two were a breeze, this one well, I could feel the puppies getting stuck. The first and second pup were presented breech and were easy whelps. The third pup however was coming head first. I could feel it in the birth canal. After almost 1 hour and a half of pushing with no results, I reached up inside and again, could only feel the head, no feet, so the pup was malpositioned. I pushed it back inside hoping it would get better positioning. I called my vet. While on the phone, I heard my bitch yelp in the hallway. I went out to discover the bloody mess and a perfect pup. I was hoping this was the stuck pup and things would get moving again. They did not. The fourth pup was also stuck and I could not get her moving. Knowing how extended pushing can tear up the uterus, I packed up my girl and took her the Pet ER. The vet did an ultrasound. One dead puppy, 3 lives ones. She did a c-section. My bitch recovered easily, had plenty of milk for all the pups and healed nicely. I had one more very special litter planned for her to an older stud dog. I was more than prepared to do a c-section for this litter as I did not want to risk losing any of these very special babies. My bitch began labor, pushed, but was not productive. After about 2 hours of pushing and nothing, we went back to the ER. She had a nice litter of live babies. I chose not to spay her as I feel the hormones are important to milk production and behavior. She was great with the second litter delivered by C. I had her spayed 4 months later and when she came home she thought she had puppies waiting for her some where. I think the spay recovery was harder than the c-sections.

I hope others can learn from you experience and I must say you were incredibly lucky not to have lost more pups, tore up your bitch's uterus or lose her.

This is what I've learned over the years: NEVER give oxytocin (pitocin is a synthetic form of oxytocin) until after the first pup is born. NEVER give oxytocin if a c-section can't be performed within an hour or so. Oxytocin causes placental detachment which is a trigger for the pup to start breathing. If the pups do not get out after a certain time period after the placentas detach,they will drown in their sacks. NEVER let a bitch actively push for more than 2 hours without producing a puppy.

Good luck with your new litter.

I think all girls should have a pre-whelp x-ray to avoid situations like the OP's and to give the breeder a count within 1 pup either way.

I would watch your girl's teats and milk production, don't overfeed or allow too much in the way of fluids and alternate teats with the 2 pups. A few toys or sacks of warmed rice might act like additional whelps for the 2 pups. I hope things go better from now on.

I'm right there with you. My bitch just had a singleton. I'm making sure she doesn't spend all her time in there with him. He has artificial littermates made out of rice socks that he can cuddle with. I've cut back on my bitch's food so she doesn't produce as much milk. You really need to watch out for mastitis.

Good luck